Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Growth

The top half of Andrew's face grew redder and redder as he struggled to free the bottom half of his face from his wet shirt that had become awkwardly stuck. He had wet his pants while taking a nap, and woke up fighting mad - just getting him to the bathtub was a struggle, and then he wouldn't let me touch him. I offered in many ways to help. Hugs, nice words, time to cool off. No, I was not allowed to help. Finally, he started doing it himself, and it was difficult. Between him being so worked up and the wet clothes catching him in various  places, he was nearly strangled in several different ways. The whole time I thought, "This would be so much easier if you'd let me help! I'm right  here, I want to help!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are so many ways I want to be better, so many qualities I want to have. On Sunday in church all the ways I fall short came momentarily crashing down on me. "Dear Father," I cried in my heart, "Please help me to be all of the things I want to be!"

He answered me right away. "I'm trying," He said. "But sometimes you don't like it."

3 comments:

Jones said...

Oh man I can relate!
Robyn

Hannah said...

"We need not worry if we can't simultaneously do all of the things that the Lord has counseled us to do. He has spoken of a time and a season for all things. In response to our sincere prayers for guidance, He will direct us in what should be emphasized at each phase of our life." -Elder Scott (p.s. I think you're amazing)

Emily S said...

That's a great quote, thanks! I was actually talking about character qualities - those are hard to lick.