Sunday, September 20, 2009

We've Got Swimming Skills

I just asked Josh to bring me a piece of apple to eat, and he had to look through all of the slices to see which one said "Mom" on it instead of "Josh." (No, they aren't really labeled, it's just one of those notions he got.)

Anyway, keeping on the vein of preserving my summer memories, both of my boys had swimming lessons at the end of July. Noah did the mom-and-me while Josh had his own class. I don't have pictures of Josh excitedly jumping around in the water while waiting his turn, or of any other skills for that matter, because I was busy playing, "If you're happy and you know it kick your feet" in Noah's class. So, I just settled on this before-class shot, where Josh was trying valiantly to get Noah to stay put while I snapped the photo. Then Noah's teacher saw my plight and offered to take a picture of all 3 of us. Thanks!

Josh was a crazy water baby last year, but every time we took him swimming this year, he freaked out if the water was more than a foot deep. No matter that he was wearing a life jacket or that his parents were holding him, he still couldn't handle it. I couldn't believe it was the same kid who jumped off the diving board last year. So, I didn't know how the whole swimming lessons thing would go, but he LOVED it. We went every day 9 days in a row, and he was excited every time. It was so cute to look over at his class. I could pick out which one was him right away due to his glow-in-the-dark hair, and his smile was usually bright enough to match. So, he's not Michael Phelps quite yet, but at least he doesn't scream his head off when he goes swimming, so I say success!
As for Noah, he really got to be an excellent swimmer. Isn't that what it means when you pass all the skills for mom-tot? (A side note - I was very amused by one mom in the class that was very concerned that her child perform the "skills" properly. I thought it was a given that the class isn't really indicative of, well, anything.) Actually, since Noah is too young to have sense enough to be afraid, he was the star of "bobs" (being dunked in the water). You know, even typing this a few months later, I still have tender feelings towards swimming lessons. I've never really had "Noah time," but this class gave me the opportunity to do something fun with him, just me and Noah. His little personality has developed so much in the last little while, I feel like it was such a great opportunity to enjoy him one-on-one, which probably won't happen much in the next little while. He was so cute, laughing and hugging me . . . and he was weightless in the water, which always helps.
So, we got time together, the kids got to play, Josh got to have "his own locker," and also they each got little certification cards and a sucker in the end. What a deal.

1 comment:

sarahflib said...

I'll comment here because you need at least one comment for your darling boys! It sounds like you guys had a grand time!