You know the funny thing about pictures? There are some really significant, fun, and/or time-consuming things we do that I don't take pictures of because I either don't have my camera or don't have an opportunity to take pictures. Then other times we do something relatively minor, and snap a million photos. Life is usually disproportionately documented, at least in my case.
This is one of those instances, but I like the pictures, and it's how my family looked this summer, so I'm documenting away. On the 24
th of July (Pioneer Day around these parts), I read that there was a "Children's Parade," and since we spent most of the day doing projects, I thought the kids might like to go, even though I didn't know what it meant. Turns out all of the floats had children on them, which Josh thought was awesome.

After the parade, we discovered that there was a little carnival. Simple stuff, but the stuff Josh's dreams are made of. He got to go "fishing" for a prize,

get this balloon dog made especially for him,

use a baseball to knock over stuff, and somehow win this little plastic flute, which doesn't really play but both kids love anyway.

Oh yes, and the snow cones were well-loved by all.

Josh also got his hand painted. I thought it was funny that out of all the designs, he chose an alien. So, a little diversion to the parade turned out to be quite the activity.

The next week, we went to my hometown to participate in "Rodeo Days" festivities. Oh, yes, it's a good time. Keeping on the theme of disproportionately documenting my life, I don't have photos of the parade - a definite kid favorite, because in my hometown they throw A LOT of candy. Who cares that's it's all tractors and the local clogging class, as long as there's good company (check) and lots of candy (check, check). I also don't have photos of when Gary and I went to the rodeo, but that was awesome, too. My family was awesome enough to give us tickets and watch our kids, so it was a little night out for us. I felt all youthful as we hollered for the cowboys. And since we were in the front row, we got the pleasure of feeling like we got kicked by a bull, although it was actually the fence right in front of us he kicked. Then as we walked out the rodeo clown congratulated me on my coming baby, so it was pretty much the perfect date.
I do have pictures of that weekend, though . . . Josh had a great time playing with Uncle Dave outside. For a long time, too, Uncle Dave was really a star. It was so cute, I had to get a picture of them swinging together. So, I took my camera outside, and captured the moment . . . and the onset of Dave's bloody nose. See, I'm really good at choosing the right instant.

Noah briefly share a swing with cousin Sophie. It was too bright to look at me, but they thought it was funny (for a minute).

Josh, Sophie, and Tate, swinging away.

And, who is the best of all the game in getting all 5 kids to play happily for a long time? Aunt Kristen, of course.
So, if there was unpleasantness on Rodeo Weekend, I don't remember it, which appears to be the bonus of writing about it two months later. And also the bonus of random picture taking - see all of the smiling children in all of the photos? I can imagine that's the way things just are all the time. I mean, look at my carefully-collected evidence . . .
5 comments:
You're so good Emily--at least you got to it! (I haven't even blogged our pictures from last Christmas...) Everyone looks so happy and what a wonderful weekend to remember!
Two things: You look gorgeous in that picture with the snow cones, and I love that Gary and Josh are basically wearing matching polos at the children's parade!
Emily we also went to that parade and fun carnival.:) You are right a kids dream for sure!! Sounds like you had a fun summer!! I love the swing picture it is too cute!!
You sound great and we miss you and ward members!! Hope you have a great week!!
It's so true about the pictures. Patrick's childless flying partner had some awesome pictures of family day. Where was I? Chasing Amelia around. We try, don't we? I do love Josh's pictures from the fishing booth and hand painting. It's all about the simple things.
Josh is adorable. Noah is getting so big!
Post a Comment