Monday, May 17, 2010

Baby Yoga and Other New Tricks

Falling asleep on the living room floor doesn't seem like a trick to you? It does to me, since I was cleaning up Noah's barf when he did it. Kind of sad, but helpful and cute.
A couple of weeks ago Andrew started doing pushups. I mean MAN pushups, with his knees off the ground. Then, he started pushing his bum in the air and making a bridge with his body. Someone said it looks like he's doing yoga - the downward dog pose. Of course I had to try and capture it, but every time I got out the camera, he would quit. Just second before this photo he was doing his pose.
Do you think he's mocking me?
Finally, yesterday morning I was able to catch him in his crawling position he likes to get into, but still no yoga. (Does he look like Maggie Simpson trying to crawl in this sleep sack?)
Then finally, after church, I caught him in the act!
It seems now he's taking it to the next level and standing up with his back end. What is this, Andrew?
His new mobility allows him to attack Noah. (Noah is starting to call him Andrew instead of Anoos, which makes me a little sad.)
The next trick actually occurred about three weeks ago. We couldn't get Andrew to eat rice cereal in any form imaginable (unless you imagine it mixed with Dr. Pepper, we'll do that next), and it was getting frustrating. Finally we decided to go straight for bananas, but while that was better, it wasn't going so well. Then master baby handler Gary layed him across his lap, and shoveled in the bananas that way. Success!! He's still not a huge solid foods fan (maybe because of always being sick?), but this is progress.
I'm going backwards in time because I liked the yoga best. This is a month ago when he first started really getting around to toys.
He would get himself into interesting positions he didn't know how to get out of. Like under the bouncer seat.
Or under his play mat.
Finally, about a month ago (the dates on these pictures are a year and 4 days behind), I thought he looked cute in his hat one day when we came home, so I thought it would be a good time to document the sitting skills. (He still doesn't love to just sit, by the way.) There are 4 pictures here, but I am convinced that each one shows a different aspect of his adorableness and personality, and must be kept. (I'll realize my foolishness later.)







6 month visit stats: Height 28 inches, 93rd percentile, weight 19 lbs., 13 oz., 80th percentile, head 75th percentile. My only child without a proportionately large head. And what's up with his weight? It's the product of being ridiculously sick this month, he hasn't gained for a while. Or maybe lost and then gained back? At the well child check, once again his ears were infected, and he had to have antibiotic shots. When that wasn't working he switched to a new antibiotic. He also has 2 meds for the yeast he has all over him due to 6 antibiotics in 2 and a half months. Yes, the child is getting tubes, asap. And he didn't get his immunizations yet, either. Our goal is for a 9 month WELL child check. Lest I sound too whiny, I must say that I am extremely grateful it's not something worse than ear problems. This we can handle.

11 comments:

Paul and Katie said...

Love the new blog! Also, not foolish one bit, they are all darling in different ways. M aybe the weight is because he is exercising now. His yoga looks hard to me! DARLING

Liz said...

I love his cute smile! He always seems so happy. What a trooper. I need to come over and start doing yoga with him, maybe he can help me get some muscle tone back...

Rachel said...

so cute! love the concept of baby yoga.

Ali said...

I love his chunky legs!! Oh, I just want to squeeze them:) I hope someday to have a chunky kid. I think Evan's skinny legs are cute too, but it'd be nice to experience both:) Evan is 16 months and 20 pounds...it's crazy to think they weigh about the same!

Janiebelle007 said...

Andrew is so cute. Maybe the reason he is such a calm baby is because of the yoga?

sarahflib said...

Madeline totally did those yoga moves too! Now that I see the picture, I can say that. She was trying to stand up, though, because it was right after she learned how to crawl and she was taking it to the next level. Love your baby.

Hannah said...

Ah! I looove him!!! Kiss him for me. NOW! :)

This Idaho Girl said...

Poor sick baby. I hope he gets feeling better soon for your sake and his. It's hard to believe he's already 6 months old.

Renae said...

Cute pictures! It sounds crazy, but have you tried a chiropractor for those ear infections? I know your dad is a DR and the conventional Drs don't always agree with chiropractors and all, BUT... When Ross was about that age, he was ALWAYS getting ear infections. As soon as he'd get off of the antibiotics, the ear infections just came back. They were talking about putting in tubes. A friend suggested we visit a chiro, and so we gave it a try. BOOM no more ear infections, just like that. Gone, he didn't have another ear infection for YEARS! If that top vertebra is out of place, it gets in the way so that the ears can't drain right. I know it sounds kooky, but I was a witness to it's working. Just find someone who specializes with little ones. Ours only charges $5 to adjust kids 5 and under. It can't hurt to try.

Coordination Queen said...

I think the second picture of him is my all time favorite. He is so stinking cute!

Syphus Circus said...

He is SO cute! Poor kid, just trying to grow when he's feeling well. So little to have to get tubes, but that's better than infections every other month!

Jake just had his first ear infection and now he has thrush (sp?) and I think I have a yeast infection...are they painful?

Can't wait to see you guys!