Such a hard choice, I know! I just spent a week pondering deep issues such as this at girls' camp. It was crazy getting ready for it with kid arrangements, weaning, other calling, bla, bla, bla, I wondered why I didn't just say I couldn't handle it. I felt really good about going, though, and so did Gary. I was operating under the notion that I needed to go and help some girl somehow . . . maybe. I hope a little. But it turns out there was one girl the experience helped that I didn't consider - me.
The food was delicious, we played dancing games, sang silly songs, came up with fun ditties, played games (I learned one called Ninja Strike I'll have to show you), and all the good stuff. But the best part was being in nature and remembering the point of things. I didn't think about budgets or coupons or computers or cars or anything else that makes me crazy. But they did give me time to read the scriptures and write in my journal. And I discovered . . . I LOVED it! It was so exciting to do it and not just be shoving it into the day. Being back now, of course it's hard to fit things in just like it was before, but I tasted of the awesomeness, and I want more.
One experience that shows what I learned (and also how it amusing it was) is the 2nd year hike. There was only one second year from our ward, and I went along with her. The hike was 5 miles, and the uphill portion was straight up. The girl isn't in the best shape, but she's a trooper, and didn't complain on the outset. However, it soon got to be more than she could handle, and she had to stop often. We started out with the front of the pack, and ended up in the very back. I told her that whenever I have a hard time with some physical challenge I sing a song in my head to get me going. I started by singing "Staying Alive," and she was okay with that. Then on the next hill I started singing, "She's going the distance! She's going for speed . . ." She looked at me like I was nuts and said, "Um, old people music isn't going to help." Hahahahahaha. Surely the group of 13 year olds ahead of me would know the song, right? Nope. None of them. My girl mentioned being embarassed by her "old-people-music leader." One more reminder (there were many at camp) that I am "old." (Note to people older than me: You are not old. Old is 80. But then you can be proud of being 80, all the general authorities are. Best ones anyway.)
So, music aside, we got to a place where the hill was very steep, and the girl was very tired. She said, "I can't make it." But I told her she could. And it took some courage-gathering, but she did it! She was so proud of herself for the rest of the day, she was just beaming. I was so proud of her, too. It seems like a small thing, but such a good thing to realize that we can accomplish things that are hard, even when it gets to a point when we think, "No way." We talked later how we really can't do hard things alone, that's why we need people with us, and that the best help of all is the Lord. Even if we feel we don't have anyone to coach us up the hill, the truth is we always have the best coach of all.
Tiring, but inspiring. That's camp in a nutshell. And overall I'd rather have Archuleta as my boyfriend, but Bieber's songs are so catchy . . .
P.S. I only had 3 hours of sleep the night before camp due to preparations. I noted that I started my mission out the same way. And my marriage . . . the other camp director says she does the same thing. Do you do that? Start out events that require much sleep ahead of time with little to none?
10 comments:
But Em, justin bieber could buy you such nice things! he talks about it in EVERY song!
em, i love this post and i'm so happy bout that yw. i'm so glad you were with her.
i know the feeling of finishing something you didn't think you could do and she will remember this for the rest of her life.
Oh girls camp! I just got back myself and felt the same way! Isn't it wonderful to have a break - not from your family - but from all the little details that fill your mind every day? I came home wanting to just eliminate all those things. Who needs to cook dinner? Not me! Those dishes? They'll still be there tomorrow. I'm going to go do what I want to do! (maybe not the best strategy - my house is total disaster right now. But it also may have something to do with the cold of death that I caught at girls camp that will not go away!)
I'm jealous of this experience. I love girl's camp
Awesome. Plus, that song will never get old. Thanks for sharing- that brought a smile to my face.
Your poor boys below! I'm glad they're on the mend...although it's rough. Funny what you said about Josh not wanting to open his eyes. After one of Evan's surgeries, the only thing that he'd open his eyes for at first was Baby Einstein movies! Too funny. :)
thinking about choosing between archie and beiber made me cry...or it might have been that i love you so much. xoxo
But Fashion Nugget only came out in 1996! That means it's still new music, right?
Oh... it's a year older than your scornful Young Woman. Boo.
Love it. I felt so old when I went to girl's camp 2 years ago. But you learn such fabulous things from the yw.
Yes, like my first day of class. Whoops, I'm doing that right now!
Yes, totally, I do. I stay up late all the time the night before some event that really requires me to show up well-rested. Alas. :)
I am so glad you went and sure wish I was one of the girls you were trying to pump up. You're so motivating. :) Happy Girl's Camp to you!
Post a Comment