Every time I see a primary program (a program put on by children in my church) I tear up. I have been fully expecting to cry during Josh's first program for years now. The big day came on Halloween, and Josh dressed up in his new red tie. He looked adorable, and I was excited. However, after wrestling with Andrew for 2 meetings, ending up sitting in the very back of the congregation for the program, and facing an hour of wrestling Andrew AND Noah by myself, my enthusiasm was drained right out of me. I thought if I was lucky Josh would catch my eye long enough for me to smile at him, and we'd all make it through.
Right before Josh was to go up for the program, he said, "Mom, look at my lips." I turned, and saw lip gloss covering nearly his whole face below his nose. I said, "Oh, my gosh!" and he immediately was embarrassed - and started wiping it on his sleeve. Luckily there are so many kids in our congregation I'm sure not many noticed his sleeve, but had they looked, they'd have noticed he looked good. Josh started out the program with his arms inside his shirt, but not in his sleeves. I sighed and struggled to find something new for
Andrew to do. Then the children began to sing
I Know That My Savior Loves Me. Josh sang with all of his little might, and when he saw me, grinned his million dollar smile. Everything else melted away, and I started bawling. This song is so beautiful, and is exactly what I want my son to know. The love that the Savior shows for the people in the scriptures is the same love he feels for Josh. And Noah, and Andrew. If they can truly know this, they're going to make it.
 |
| Here he is, fresh off his success of his first primary program. For some reason, after the program was over, all of the children received "Future Missionary" tags. Josh adored his, and displayed it proudly. He thought standing in the corner for this photo would be best. |
 |
| Josh wanted Noah to have a turn wearing the badge. |
 |
| I like these boys. |
One night a couple of weeks ago, I was putting the boys to bed, and somehow we got talking about going on missions. Josh was interested in the fact that some missionaries walk, some drive cars, and some ride bikes. He wanted to know how he would find out what he would do on his mission. I told him the process, and he said okay, he could wait 14 and a half years. But later I went in to check on him and he was still awake. "Mom," he said, "I prayed to ask Heavenly Father what I'm going to ride on my mission, but he didn't tell me yet."
Noah, however, had no such uncertainties. He'll be serving in the rocket ship mission.
Did I mention I like these boys?
12 comments:
i love kids! At least Josh sang in his program, my boys think it is the worst they could go through. And I bet most the people in space aren't members, Noah can teach them.
The really "sad but true" thing is that you will blink and they will be missionaries. Enjoy these sweet, long days.
I love it! Aiden has decided he's going to England on his mission... I tried to explain, but he is adamant. :)
Joshie is so funny. They both look like great future missionaries. His sleeve does have a nice shade of gloss on it. I am sure it looks great.... on you.
They look so handsome in their shirts and ties. Love them! Oh, and you can tell Josh that in my mission he could do all three: ride a bike, walk, and drive a car. Not to mention take public transit. Looks like Berlin is the place to be!
But, Sarah, you could not take a rocket ship. They will be wonderful missionaries. And Julie is right, the days go so quickly. And I waited until my girls were 21 and 22 to go on missions and it still seemed as if you were ripped out of my arms. Maybe I'll save the middle man and just give Josh lip gloss for Christmas. He just wanted to look nice.
They are so handsome. I know what you mean about what matters most. It was amazing that my girls both knew who Jesus was at such an early age. I guess there's something to be said for becoming "childlike".
I love that this post which is sentimental ends with a humorous note. Rocket ship mission. Awesome, Noah, awesome.
And Josh does look super handsome in his shirt and tie.
Also why were you wrestling the kids alone in sacrament meeting? Is Gary in the bishopric or just out of town?
Gary is a primary teacher, so thus, also in the primary program. He did a great job, too.
They are adorable! ...and I'm with you, I will certainly be crying at Evan's first and then some primary programs I'm sure!! What a sweet story.
Cute stories. Hope you have a great thanksgiving break!
Emily, I realize that as loving parents we all worry about the eternal joy of our children, but please do not spend one second worrying about whether or not your boys will "make it."
You are truly a "savior on Mount Zion", and for that we will be eternally grateful and as such, you and your husband will teach your boys (by example. Really, is there any other way? ^-^) how to feel His love forever. And they will listen. I mean really, could heaven ever be Celestial for you if all of your children were not there with you? And surely you know that your Heavenly Father is keenly aware of what you will need to be eternally happy, so you see, since your hand will never let go of the iron rod, neither will theirs.
Am I partial to you because we experienced your valiant heart and powerful testimony? Of course; but that doesn't make me any less accurate. In fact, it may make me more so! ^-^
Teresa and I hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas.
We love you.
Post a Comment