Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Force is Strong With Us

Several months ago Josh planned out what he would be for the next several Halloweens. Star Wars characters for 4 years, and then when he's 8, a bush. It will be awesome because it will surprise people that the bush is moving. He absolutely remembers this schedule, so first up on the list, a Jedi Knight, had to be fulfilled this year. I looked into sewing costumes quite long ago, but it never got past the looking phase. So being in an emergency, I got on Amazon, filled my shopping cart with expensive yet cheap looking costumes, and . . . Gary said he was sure we could make them. But we had so much going on this week, Gary . . . No matter, it looked easy to him. So, we bought fabric, waited until the perfect time (the night before trick-or-treating), hauled out the sewing maching, and did it. And it was fun! Gary did the measuring and cutting (no pattern, just scaled down from some instructions online. Oh, yeah, scaled down because sadly/awesomely almost all Star Wars costuming described on the internet is for adults), and I did the sewing. It took us way too long, but we learned a ton, and got the last stitch sewn 10 minutes before we headed out the door. Mistakes abound, but our kids loved it, so we felt pretty accomplished.

Josh ended up choosing Obi Wan Kenobi specifically, and Noah insisted on being Darth Maul. I wanted my precious young son to be a good guy, so I suggested every awesome character I could think of . . . but it was always met with, "No, I'm going to be Darth Maul." We wondered if he even knew who Darth Maul is, but the second I found a picture of him, Noah said, "Yeah, that's Darth Maul, that's who I'm going to be for Halloween!" So, Darth Maul it was. Gary did the face makeup, and Noah loved it. As for Andrew, we decided to alter things a bit. Gary's vision was Luke Skywalker. When I went to put it on him his belly was too big, so we had to squeeze it together with a safety pin. I don't know why, but I think his too-big belly is so funny.

Before we got out the costumes to dress the kids, Gary put on Star Wars to pump them up, and boy did it ever! You should have seen the proud look on Josh's face as he donned his Jedi robe.  So, candy gathering we did go, and it was a great night. The rain dried up just right before we went out, so we got to watch our little kiddies excitedly going from house to house. These pictures are in the opposite order of how they happened, but switching them around . . . nah. (Come on, Blogger, you can make it easier . . .)

Let us begin at the end . . . young Skywalker enjoying candy, toddling around with whatever he could get his hands on.
Here we see the master of costuming pushing the Jedi carriage. The other spot was being kept warm for Darth Maul, who ended up riding after a while, too.

The epic battle . . . (darn teenagers, I can't even use the word epic anymore!)



I made them stop at this door for a photo together, but their general lack of focus indicates what was really important to them at that moment.


We were on our way to trick-or-treat at the first house when we realized Darth Maul was without shoes. Would have known it earlier if we'd actually looked at the pictures we were taking.


Aaah, I just have to kiss him all the time!
When we got home we had some hearty chili ready that Gary had made, and it was delicious. There's something magical about the family all together, the kids having fun, the crisp night air, the jack-o-lanterns, the leaves, the friends passing by, warm chili . . .The whole night makes me smile. And if you were here to see me do it, you'd see I have Kit Kat in my teeth. Mmmmmm . . .

P.S. Gary and I joked about opening up a Jedi robe shop on etsy. Our motto will be, "Your kids will love it so much, you won't even notice how crooked it is!"

12 comments:

Paul and Katie said...

The force is strong. Must be the characters busting out to spice girls on youtube. they are all so adorable!

Coordination Queen said...

Love it! Y'all did a great job on the costumes!

Janiebelle007 said...

They are so cute. At least you've done Darth Ma?l and he's gone! The costumes are so cute and so are the Jedi's and their foe. We need to stretch Andrew to fit the length of pants his tummy requires.That Noah is waaaay to knowledgeable. Unlike his Gramma!

Karey said...

So cute! Way to go with making them! I also considered making something, until I saw cute costumes at old navy for $7. That was the end of my motivation :)
And to go along with your star wars theme, I had a dream Saturday night that our bishopric showed up for church on Halloween dressed as Storm Troopers. (odd considering I've never even seen star wars)
Later on in my dream, I saw the bishop wearing lederhosen and I asked him what he was dressed up as now. The answer: Deiter F. Uchtdorf as a young boy.
Apparently I had had too much candy the night before! :)

Hannah said...

You guys are the funniest, coolest parents ever! Your boys are adorable and so lucky to have you. Great job on the costumes and on raising funny kids too. I can't wait for the bush.

sarahflib said...

The bush is sure to be awesome. And an Etsy shop like that is sure to succeed.

Anna said...

Is it okay if every comment I make on your blog is that I wish you lived closer. I miss you and Gary...but reading about your adventures is humorous too. :)

Renae said...

That schedule thing is hilarious! 4 years of star-wars, and then ... a bush! What a crack up!

The A Family said...

Oh my goodness, they are all too cute! Way to go on making your own costumes, you can't see that they are crooked in the pictures!!

Michelle said...

Oh this made me smile! Look at you, all sew-y and everything! I'm so proud of you. :) I'm still laughing hysterically about the walking bush that will have his debut in a few more years. awesome. Your etsy slogan is catchy!

Jones said...

I just love your kids! and you and Gary are pretty awesome too of course.. Andrew just makes me want a cuddly little boy so bad! I am glad that we have gotten to know each other so well, and I am glad that we can have some of the conversations that we do! Sometimes you just need friends like that right?

Kris and Q said...

The force was strong and they were cute! I just love halloween and the great memories.