Stop worrying about my yearly theme (I know so many do), January is not yet over. I have one, and shockingly, I've been working on it all year already. Usually I mull over a long list of possibilities before arriving to my conclusion, but this year the rhyming flow was a little slowed by well, the year. Conditions do not promise to improve in the next several years. However, like any good MC, I have a few possibilities that all have merit. Here's where I started:
Hang out with Bergevin.
Make friends with wife of Devin.
Talk to cousin Kevin.
Cook with more leaven.
Visit Seven-Eleven.
Like them all. However, I have settled upon, "Attitude is a Choice, Thank Heaven."
I need to print it out and post it on my closet, and maybe see the results of '04. I've done okay the last couple of years, but it's time to step it up. Right after Christmas, faced with the reality that I would be dealing with my three adorable heathen by myself for a few months, I decided we would be happy anyway. Not blissful every second (A phrase I don't get is, "We're loving every minute." Really? Every minute?), but when the going got crazy, I would put it into perspective and be okay.
The thing about attitude being a choice is a lot of times it sure doesn't feel like a choice. As I've been conscious of trying this month, this keeps going through my head. I've been keeping track of a few moments I wanted to remember (see last post), because they remind me of why I love what I do. No, I don't like living in disaster area, but when one is created, I can take a deep breath. I did pretty great at my goal for 29 days. Gary was impressed, and I was feeling pretty great. Then yesterday, on day 30 at 11 p.m. I had a little meltdown. I felt bad about that, and thought for a minute I was failing. But then I realized nope, I still have a choice. I could let that be that, or I could let it affect me the next day. I decided to have a good day today. Hooray for choices!
I don't want to sound heavy-handed, like I'm so put together and have it all figured out. I'm just saying this is a goal. Something I want to work on. There will be more day 30's, I'm pretty sure. But I'm shooting for the great 31's. Alright, 2011, work your magic.
Since I couldn't go hog-wild with rhyming, may I just mention a great story in the field of rhyme? Josh came home from preschool with a worksheet where he put that snail and shell rhyme. Say them outloud, and if you agree, you might be from Utah. Josh is.
2 comments:
I think you should stencil it on a wall somewhere.
I would have chosen Visit Seven-Eleven. That's a theme I can live with, especially given my need for caffeine. Maybe I should work on my attitude or somehting.
Post a Comment