Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Josh Was Right About One Thing . . .

I had a plan to announce the gender of my coming son by posting this picture, and getting excited that I get another one. But instead, I have no picture to post for such a cause, because for the first time - it's a girl. Feels weird to even type that. Josh called it two years ago, and his certainty actually made me feel pretty certain, too. Josh is pumped (perhaps even willing to not name her Solarica), Gary says he feels less tired already, Noah didn't care much until he was told he could protect her, Andrew just loves to say, "Baby," and I have mixed emotions.

I am excited! It will be fun to have another girl around here to be girly with. I forget sometimes I am a girl. However, being the oldest of 7 girls has given me enough girl experience to know it's fun. And after all the growing up stuff, someday I'll have someone who likes to talk on the phone and wants me to help when she has babies (I hope). I hope having a girl around will teach my boys more about how girls should be treated. And lucky, lucky little girl to have Gary as a daddy. He's the best at listening and giving hugs that make it all better, take it from this girl.

But . . . I am scared, too. What if she doesn't like me? What if she thinks I'm not cute or cool or whatever? What about finding modest clothes? What about her caring about modest clothes? It goes on and on. I have never once worried about these things with my boys. I guess the possible girl-hurts are just too real. I'll stop because this is a happy time. :)

So, little girlie, we are excited to meet you. You've got four awesome boys that are already set to protect you, and a mommy that is bawling right now because she just wants to be a good mommy. And also a Halloween costume mom bought 3 years ago on clearance. FYI, you'll be a cat.

18 comments:

Janiebelle007 said...

You will be a good girl mommy.

Jill Hunt said...

Boys are fun, but however having a girl is just so different and exciting! Congrats. Like my little girl, she will have lots of big brothers to look after her, and she will be just as wild and rough as they are. So fun!

Steven and Kimberly said...

Emily, that is so awesome! I am happy for you. I don't know if you'll be less tired with a girl Gary, at least not wih ours, but they are oh so fun. Not to mention, you'll have a blast dressing them and doing their hair!! I too worry about the future of these little souls, but you are awesome parents and thankfully we have the gospel to follow. Congrats again!

Anna said...

Hooray for a girl in the family. She'll be well loved with 3 older brothers and a daddy--think of all the friends of her brothers she'll get to have crushes on in junior high! Ha ha.

I hear you on the modesty concerns and the moodiness and the emotions that come with girls. But there are hard things with boys too (pornography!?). You'll be a good parent no matter what the gender is. Congrats on the girl :)

Krista said...

oh em. you are and will be an amazing mother. your kids are so lucky to have you.

congratulations on the little girl!!! yay for ruffles! lots and lots of ruffles!

love you!

Emily S said...

Have to agree, boys have their own bundle of frightening life-issues to face, but I haven't lived it, nor have I seen a sibling live it, so it's not too scary to me at this point. They're just my babies. I'm a girl, so being a girl evokes emotion. So does being pregnant. :) I am getting more and more excited to meet her, though . . .

Bry and Meliss said...

Yay Emily!! A girl!! I had the exact same fears as you...and still do. Girls are tough. I've heard it from many. But the good news is-you're a good mommy and I know she will be amazing! Don't stress too much, try to enjoy the good things. I learned worrying about things make the happy times slink by :)

sarahflib said...

You know a girl will be marvelous. I'm sooooo excited for Baby Sis to have a girl cousin her age. That was always my big sadness growing up, that I didn't have a girl cousin to bond with.

Mandy said...

Em - Congrats on your pregnancy and your pink news! I'm partial to girls (and boys). You will be an awesome girl mom. Love you!

Ali said...

How EXITING!! That's awesome that you already have a kitten costume for your girl:) Too funny. She is going to be so spoiled!!

Meagan said...

Yeah. Girls are so fun, and dramatic and emotional... but so fun. You will totally notice the difference between boys and girls right away. I am excited for you.

Coordination Queen said...

Congrats! So excited for you! Little girls are so much fun. You will be fabulous!

Curt, Colleen, CJ and Cassidy said...

Yay!! I was nervous when Curt announced to me that we had a girl but that passed very quickly. You'll be a great mom to a girl, just like you are a great mom to your boys!!

Reader Family said...

I'm so excited for you! I totally know how you feel, but on the opposite side. :) Maybe we can get together and you can share all your boy tips with me and I will share all my girl tips with you. They are so fun though. You will be amazing with her!

Trever and Heather said...

Hooray! Girls are the best (just emotional, but oh so SOOOOO sweet).

Shalet said...

Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! I love, love, love my little boys, but I told my husband I'm not giving up til I get a girl!!!

Shalet said...

p.s. I think she'll think the absolute world of you. I mean, who doesn't? You. Are. Awesome!

Anonymous said...

Em! That's awesome. Girls are so much fun. Congratulations.