Gary observed that if you add up our childrens' ages, it's nearly 10 years altogether. And in nearly a decade of little boy-hood, we'd never dealt with stitches. Pretty good record, so it was pretty much a given it would happen eventually. The poor streak-breaker was my tender-hearted baby Andrew.
My kids were at a friends' house while I was at a no-kids-allowed health assessment (which I did very well on, but failed to earn the rebate because my waist circumference is more than desirable). Right as I was getting in the car to go home she called and asked, "So, did they take your blood pressure yet?" She said it seemed like Andrew would need stitches, and since she seemed so calm I expected it to be borderline. When I arrived at their house everyone was indeed very calm, Andrew was laying on the counter eating Smarties. But when the wound was uncovered, my eyes popped open wide. Um, yep, if you can see the insides of his head, the kid is gonna need stitches.
So, what happened? Apparently Andrew was playing with a toy golf club at the top of the stairs, and somehow fell down the stairs and bashed his head on a bookshelf. My friend heard the fall and ran up to see if he was okay, but he was just lying face-down with his hands over his head. When she picked him up his hands were full of blood . . . uh, oh. I feel so bad she had to deal with our little inevitable emergency, and that the baby-sitting duties were then extended for two hours . . .
We had a little totally-out-of-gas-while-the-baby-is-pulling-the-butterfly-bandages-off-his-dripping-head-wound drama, but once we arrived at the instacare they took care of us well. It was a sad time, as toddlers generally don't love being bound up, held down, and having their face covered, especially when they can feel a stranger sewing their forehead back together, but I got some really sweet snuggles afterward. The nurses that were holding him down (one being a pretty big guy) both remarked several times how strong Andrew is. Yeah, those 30+ pounds aren't just for looks, folks. Poor kid emerged from his bondage soaking wet, and wouldn't even accept a popsicle from the nurse. I was glad he still wanted to hug me, because it was pretty heart breaking to see him all terrified and screaming for me. Gary couldn't even stand the story, and bought him a new Diego coloring book to make him feel better. (It did. He sang "ego" for Gare.)
![]() |
9 comments:
That top photo proves he's a real Ninja! Por baby Ninja.
Poor Andrew! He looks like a ninja with the head wrap.
Holy cow! My husband says that once a little boy gets stitches, he becomes a real man :) You are brave.
OH. MY... I am totally knocking on wood, we haven't had full blown stitches at our house yet. Will had to have the liquid stitches once, but ya know no holding down full on sewing something back together. Now he will have a "Harry Potter" scar, awesome!
I too thought he looked Harry Potter-esque. Love him!
By any chance does your neighbor have a pet snake?
We keep talking about how much Everly loved your boys. Thanks for letting us come practically unannounced. It was fun to catch up, even if it was a brief visit.
Yowzas. Poor guy-that wound is huge. Apparently his little baby face needed a badge of courage.
so so sad. we had forehead stitches almost a year ago... i can still remember the stress. and we only had 4 stitches.
Post a Comment