Monday, November 14, 2011

Counterfeiters, Rockstars, and Divers . . . and Their Mom

How is it that one second you wonder if you will ever get married and have children, and the next you find yourself in the middle of the night with a wiggly newborn in one arm and a tall stack of laundry in the other trying to maneuver yourself onto the bottom bunk to listen to your 3 year old tell you about his nightmare? At that moment I was struck by just how different my life is now than it was 6 or 7 years ago. I mean, I'm kind of into this mom thing pretty deep by now. Crazy. The nightmare was about pandas and lava, by the way, and giving him a kiss was a pretty difficult task. But I did it.

When Lissy was about a week old Noah remarked, "Lissy doesn't even have her peepee yet." (Um, yeah, new things to talk about with a girl around . . . )

Josh found a sweet $120 Star Wars Lego set in the paper. Gary told him it was pretty expensive, and Josh got all exasperated with him. "Dad, you need to learn to make those green dollars," he said, "They're made out of paper!"

A while back I went to Walmart with my kids on a really windy day. I tried to prep them for it. "Okay guys," I said, "I'm going to get a cart, and you have to sit in it really quickly so I can run us all into the store as fast as we can. It's too windy to mess around." Noah chimed in with his idea. "Or, we could just get in the wind and fly to Walmart." "The wind is blowing the wrong way, Noah," Josh said, "We would just go to Jiffy Lube." Yep, that's my children. Josh wasn't concerned about the flying idea, but the fact the wind was blowing the wrong way.

Tonight Josh and Noah decided that if they didn't button their pajama tops they looked like rock stars. So, they kept them unbuttoned as they got ready for bed, and stopped every now and then to rock out and sing, "Na, na, na, na, na, na . . .," metal style.

My boys like to say, "I believe I can fly!" Then jump off of stuff. They recently changed it to, "I believe I can fly . . . scuba dive!" Yeah, that involves jumping off of stuff face first. So far it's been onto beds, but the whole thing is a little scary, especially when I hear Andrew yell, "Scuba dive!" A little scary, but also a little funny when they coordinate jumping off at the same time. Hopefully this is not indicative of a cliff-diving future . . .

8 comments:

Michelle said...

This is beautiful! I just settled in for a nice morning (probably DAY) of folding laundry. The pile is taller than ruby. and double her length. This is what we dreamed of, right? :)

Janiebelle007 said...

You guys really needed to dream bigger. NOT!!!!!!!!!

Hannah said...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaa! I love your boys! This made me lol... I mean...laugh.

This Idaho Girl said...

I fear for the teenage years with your boys. I also fear for my teenage years with girls. Yikes. what have we gotten ourselves into.

This Idaho Girl said...

p.s. You are brave to attempt WalMart alone. I am in awe.

Mandy said...

Oh Em. This was total comic relief in the middle of my "dreamy" day of kids. I am still laughing about flying to Jiffy Lube en route to Walmart. I love your boys...and peepee-less Lissy too!

Ali said...

I love your boys! They are hilarious!! I love reading your posts- they always are such comic relief. Too cute...(and scary about the diving!! Is that my future??)

Jones said...

I am so glad you are writing all this down. I love the things that they say. They are brilliantly cute!