I have had sinus surgery 3 times before. Yes, this was my fourth time going under the knife to fix problems with breathing. The nurse who wheeled me to the car the other day said she hopes this is my last time. Thanks, I'm right there with you. This time the doctor really only needed to reduce my lower turbinates, which is less than Gary got done and less than I've had before, so it should be no big deal, right? Ugh. To be truthful, it's not nearly as painful as some of the other times. However, my dreams of restful times in my room while I fill in the holes for the last year of blogging will not be fulfilled. Because I feel crappy. Weird, right? Turns out not being able to breathe, just choke, has its downside.
I had a little rush of energy and desire to help Gary, so I started putting things away, which led me outside, which made me get discovered by neighbors, in my full flared-goopy-nostril beauty. They were really sweet, and asking me who was helping me and how we were getting along. As I tried to explain, I realized I am kind of losing track of days and couldn't totally answer everything.
Gary is amazing. He has done an amazing job with the kids, with managing it all, and with helping me. He is perfect at showing empathy and love with the things I'm going through. Incredible man.
So . . . I think I wrote that on Saturday? I had the surgery on a Thursday, and the weekend was pretty yuck. (I originally published June 18, but now I am putting the date as the Saturday I began the post so that the blog works chronologically.) I don't recall the packing ever making me so completely miserable. It felt like someone was constantly pressing on my sneeze reflex, and wouldn't stop - for over four days. I couldn't sleep, I had a constant headache . . . on Sunday I started to count the minutes until the packing came out, and when the doctor came in to do it I felt like he was the anesthesiologist coming to give my epidural - he saved me! When I told him what a hard time I was having, he was not at all surprised. Turns out though there wasn't a lot he did, it's actually one of the bloodiest nose surgeries you can have, so the fact there was sooo much more blood than Gary was supposed to happen. Ok, awesome. And what a difference it made getting that stuff out, hooray!
I spent the week at a teaching conference all day, every day. A few people expressed that they couldn't believe I would do that right after having surgery. I wished I didn't have to, but it was actually awesome. Instead of dealing with little kids and my house, I sat in a room with adults drinking bottled water while discussing fascinating things. It was fascinating to me - it was a math training, and it was exactly what I've been wanting to learn more about for years. I was really into it, and pumped to think they are teaching all of the teachers so my kids can have a great education . . . and then I realized by the end that mostly everyone else hate, hated it. Boo. Dreams shattered. I want my kids in the class of one of those presenters, however, worrying about kind of stuff I need to take off my list, because it just doesn't help anything.
Now, tomorrow is my last (hopefully) ENT appointment, then Gary and I will both be breathing so well our lives will be magically wonderful. And no, neither one of us got any plastic surgery. If you notice anything different, it's not part of what we payed for.
6 comments:
I knew this was coming up but didn't realize it was already! Sorry I was no help
Robyn
Your life is in crazy transition right now, I'd feel bad if you were of help! I'd love to see you, though - hopefully tomorrow at tennis!
Glad you are starting to feel better! And the math conference sounds awesome (except lame that the other teachers didn't catch the vision). If teaching were your full-time job it might not sound restful to go to a conference after surgery, but yeah. Way way more restful than chasing 4 kids and making meals and whatever else!
Ugh. You must hold some sort of record for nasal surgery. No. Michael Jackson probably holds that. I will never forget your first surgery and you passing a blood clot the size of a small child. Will you please call me when you come down. We have got to catch up.
I'm on the border of MJ-esque overkill. The great thing about the blood clot is the story is impressive to my husband. Yes! Catch up we must. It seems like every time I go to Preston lately it's for a one-day event, like a baby blessing or something. I should come up just cuz.
Post a Comment