Monday, December 23, 2013

Pre-Christmas Fun, As Told Through the JELLO-Brain

Riddle you this: My boys declared yesterday Taysom Hill day, and Friday Alani Fua day. They also had Jamal Williams day, but that was a few weeks ago. What made them select those specific days? Who is the truest of Cougar fans . . .

I have JELLO brain from long days and late nights, but I know all kinds of happy snappiness happened this week . . . Gary had his big choir Christmas program today, and the beautiful songs were the only thing that kept Lissy's attention (her attention was kept at no other point). I thought it sounded fantastic, myself. I have just been busy trying to solve every single problem with the women in the ward and also play Santa's little helper. As for being Santa's helper, it's so amazing and humbling to see how many people want to help others. I've gotten so many calls, to do things outside of what is already on the angel tree. So many great people! As for solving all the problems, I had an epiphany - if people would be loving and caring visiting teachers, I would hardly have anything to do but coordinate. It's so different to see the whole "assignment" as loving people enough to make sure people are doing well and progressing spiritually than as an obligatory drop-in. I've thought of this before, but somehow it takes on a new light when you are suddenly feeling the weight of making sure all is well.

We went caroling with the ward, or a few from the ward, on Tuesday. It was so cute to see Lissy walking around in her snowsuit and boots, trying her best to sing. The boys had fun, but once they discovered long icicles, that was the new fun. We had our Relief Society Christmas dinner on Wednesday, and had a great turnout. The committee did an awesome job, and I was happy to see my neighbor who has never walked into the church for any reason. We had a HUGE snowstorm Thursday. Gary spent 3.5 hours commuting that day, and not much less than that the next day. Being as I could barely drive to the church for preschool, I can't believe no schools were cancelled, but it was beautiful out there. Turns out giving Andrew a snow shovel is very good for him. He's in a great mood after a while, and he looks adorable in snow clothes.

Oh, yeah, preschool at the church. I had preschool this week, and we had the Christmas party Thursday. Topic was The Gingerbread Man, and since I've made it twice this week in the wee hours of the morning, I can testify that the Our Best Bites recipe is a winner. Silly gingerbread guys ran away at our party, and we had to run around trying to catch him. Kids loved it, and I can never get enough of them being excited. A few funny things:
- I told a few of the girls, "You are sitting so great, you really look ready for kindergarten next year." (They really are going.) Andrew blurted out, "I got my kindergarten shots!" Missed the point of my manipulation, but he sure was adorably proud.
- For his gingerbread man's eyes, Andrew took some round flat candies, and put some mini-M&M's in there for the irises. He is the only kid who did this, and thought of it himself. Adorable again.
- Noah put hips on his gingerbread men, with gummies.
- Lissy just ate candies.
- When I was cleaning up, the kids went to the nursery and made a bus of dolls. There were 7 chairs arranged into a bus, a doll on each chair, and Noah sat in front with a fake steering wheel, driving them around. Andrew was in back with the babies, and Lissy let out the girliest shriek of joy ever when she saw what they'd done.

Lissy ran into her friend Dallin on Friday while she was racing on the stairs. I guess they really collided, because she has a fat lip, and also knocked her front teeth loose. Van didn't do it, but Dallin's head . . . Called the dentist to see if anything could be done, and they wanted to see her. Turns out not because they can save the teeth, but because sometimes they need to be pulled right away so they don't form an abcess. The dentist said we'll leave them for now, and if there's any hope of her keeping them, she can't suck a binkie. Taking it away hasn't been as heinous as we feared, but she is pretty sad. I bought her some soft popsicles after the dentist, and I said, "I'm looking for some popsicles that Lissy will be able to eat and will make her mouth feel better." Andrew leaned forward, clutched his leg, and said, "Oh, my knee hurts so much, I think the thing that will help it is Avengers popsicles." The boy stocking the freezer was laughing. Of course I bought them, you would have.

Okay, turns out some things came through the JELLO. Oh, yes, my favorite, which I will now add to the beginning . . . and if you didn't figure out the riddle (which is highly unlikely if you're not reading it on the date it was written), the answer is each day on the Christmas countdown that corresponded to a BYU football player's jersey number that they knew they declared to be that player's day. Christmas itself was "Cosmo Day."

No comments: