Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Fixing My Stiffneckedness, Pushups, Puffs, and Pudding

Been hanging onto this draft for a few days - too blasted tired to finish, but at least I'm not Gary, who has slept probably 8  hours in 3 days. Lucky me, I got to sleep in today because Noah woke up with Lissy, changed her poopy diaper, and put on a show for her. I was busy dreaming about teaching a very powerful first discussion. I woke up moved. Moved enough to get everyone ready to be out the door in 15 minutes - yikes! Anyway . . .

I already told you that on Sunday (a week and a half ago) I could barely move my neck - and that was very literally true. On Monday I woke up and it was way worse, all in my shoulders and head. Despite my try at yoga (helped for a minute), my entire upper-half seized up, and I was in all sorts of pain. Gary was asking me how I was doing around 2:15, and I started crying, just cuz it hurt and I didn't know how to function. He called me back hardly any minutes later saying he'd found a place to give me a massage at 3, and he'd called a baby-sitter. Gary to the rescue! I felt dumb having a baby-sitter with the house being a wreck, but I couldn't zip kids' coats or load the dishwasher, so what was I to do? The massage therapist was shocked at the state of my muscles, and said she felt like she was beating me up trying to get those knots out. There was one she couldn't get because I was starting to get bruises. However, in the end I could turn my head, hooray! It was about 3 days later that I started to feel normal . . . so, happy civil rights day or whatever. Gary brought me back to civility.

The boys had a wrestling match (what's new?), which of course, was made better by taking their shirts off, and of course, Lissy had to also take her shirt off to participate (sigh). They decided Josh would be the judge, so he sat on the chair and watched the others wrestle. "I've never seen moves like these in all my days," he drawled, "in all my days."

Lissy had her ophthalmology appointment at Primarys on Tuesday. On the way there she was sleeping, and was so beautiful I started bawling because I can't believe we're so fortunate as to still have her. She was getting checked because when a kid has a brain injury, they make sure to check everything out. This was definitely a "check the box" visit for me. We started out by being told this was normal and so was that, which is really "quite remarkable" for someone who has had an accident like that. Then, they dilated her eyes (she started twirling like a drunk at one point), and looked inside. "She's going to need some glasses," the doctor said. What? "Are you serious?" I asked. I mean, what if all kids need glasses, if only they go to the specialist . . . The doctor was a super nice older man, and told me all about how bad Lissy's astigmatism is and how it will harm her eye muscles and possibly impede brain injury recovery if untreated. We would have known in a few years anyway, but the accident has hastened us knowing, which, apparently will help a lot. I feel bad for her, but we'll get it . . .

Speaking of Miss Elizabeth, she is quite the little dancer. On Wednesday during Zumba at the church, she did her best to follow along, and it was adorable. She's wanted to for weeks, but she's just barely getting her confidence on. Also, today when I wanted to put her down for a nap (perfect timing), she wanted to jump on Andrew's bed. After about 10 or 15 jumps, she'd stop and do some push-ups and knee circles. The knee circles were the best. Repeated this routine several times.

Josh was excited on Sunday when he saw the sacrament trays. "Yea, white bread today!" he exclaimed. After eating his piece he said, "It's not white, it's actually buttermilk."

My kids have been begging me for Reese's Puffs ever since they saw many commercials in St. George promising them it would make their morning time epic. Someone heard about this, and when we walked in the door Saturday morning after the gym, we had a package from Amazon. We opened it, and oh, goodness, you would have thought it contained a toy they'd been saving up for months for. Screams of joy for some Reese's Puffs! They cleaned like crazy to get some, except for Lissy, who pulled a chair up to the counter to try to hack it open with a butter knife. How did she know it was even something good? When Josh got his first handful, he declared, "It makes my day epic, even without milk!" Andrew said, "We need to write a thank you to grandma. Write this, mom: Dear great grandma, Thank you for the Reese's Puffs, and I am very welcome to eat them." Epic!

A very clearly exhausted Andrew told me the other night he, "Just couldn't sleep without medicine." So I gave him some tums. He was pleased, and slept right away. Oh, yes, and on Sunday during church he drew a few rectangles on a paper,then said, "Mom, look, it's pumpkin teeth!" Of course. He then drew a pumpkin around them. With running shoes, except he can't run. That child . . .

Josh has decided he is dessert-master by making pudding a few nights in a row. He makes banana cream or vanilla, then garnishes it with bananas carefully placed in circles. Artistry at its finest, and actually quite good.

No comments: