Sunday, February 2, 2014

From the Super Bowl Mission to the Best Company

Josh noticed a missionary plaque in our church last week, and told me, "There's missionary that went on his mission to New York. No fair, he gets to go to the Super Bowl!" Now he says he is going on his mission to San Francisco, so he can get the autographs of all of the 49ers. Perfect.

Speaking of Josh at church, he bore his testimony today for the first time! He got up to leave the bench, and I said, "Where are you going?" He said, "To bear my testimony." I was surprised, but after a little courage-gathering, he did it. He didn't say a lot, but it was sincere and took a whole lot of guts on his part. He said, "I'd like to bear my testimony, I know this church is true, and I am so glad I get to be baptized on June 7." When he came back to the bench his grin was so huge, and we hugged and hugged. Sweet boy. Gary was proud of how succinct he was.

Also speaking of church, we all made it through the entire meeting, on our bench, without leaving. What?! During the closing prayer, Lissy was talking very loudly about being poopy (which she wasn't), but what a break-through!

Favorite question: Andrew asked me one day, "Mom, are dogs allergic to us?" Think about it.

Messiest game: Feeding my baby chickens. Noah had Andrew and Lissy eating oats out of his hand. In the living room. I didn't notice for a while because I was hurrying to make dinner. Also, Lissy dumped out a whole 2 pound container, and when I saw her she hurriedly started singing, "Clean up, clean up, every single, everywhere . . ." Nice try. Noah was so pleased with leading his siblings around the living room in pursuit of their oats, but there will be more oats discovered around the home each day in 2014.

Josh had his 100th day of school, and had to make a collection to display. He wanted to buy 100 Warhead candies. I told him, "This is not to get your favorite candy, be creative!" He wouldn't let it go, until finally I sent him last-minute pantry-searching for his collection. The result - a cookie in the shape of 100, with 100 chocolate chips on it. I let him stay up to make it, and he told his siblings, "You need to go to bed, but when you're in second grade, you'll get to do this." I fully prepared him for the idea he would never eat it, because it was for the 100's museum, but when I got to the school to volunteer, it was not on display. He said his teacher said he could take it home. I told her I prepared him to never eat it, and she said, "Yeah, but he sure would like to. He's been petting it all day." She is cool.

Gary hardly slept this week. Poor guy. Also, finding the right glasses for Lissy is going to be hard. Fortunately, she thinks trying them on is fun.

On Saturday I had to get Bountiful Baskets in Tooele, so decided to throw a work-out at the gym. Then, despite everything telling me it would be awful, I took all 4 kids to Walmart to get treats for Noah's basketball game and Lissy's nursery class. No choice. As I walked in, I realized I was in work-out clothes and pregnant. With all of the kids. Lovely. It was ridiculously packed, and the kids touched every item in the store, so when we got to the check-out and saw a half-hour worth of waiting, and extra candy/trinket displays due to the Super Bowl, I started to think bad thoughts. Then, the lady in front of us spilled and entire box of spaghetti on the floor. I told the kids to help her pick them up, and they went for it, it was a great game. Lissy gave her two at a time, even the super-teeny pieces. I was already grateful for the distraction, and then the lady let them each pick a treat, and she bought it for them. Blessings, blessings! Praying is worth it, ya'll. Oh, yes, and hopefully my kids learned about service. And hopefully the lady's couponing was still worth it by the time she spent $4 on little kids.

Noah running up and down the court playing basketball is adorable. It just is. Josh made quite a few shots in his game, and is always excited.

It's Noah in action


Anna and her husband Joe visited us last night for their date night! Anna is so thoughtful. She wanted to help me out, and wow, she really did. They folded laundry, installed a smoke alarm and a dead bolt, and did tons of ironing. Also, kept me great company. Gary brought ice cream when he got home at 10, so I hope it was all worth it. I feel bad people doing stuff for me, but I'm so completely exhausted, and Anna is so sincere, I'm way past help-refusal. Such a fun night!

No comments: