Since I have to no choice but to lay down for the moment, I will attempt to update our lives. I woke up at 6 this morning with a horrendous headache, and though Tylenol helped, I have felt very lousy all day. I went to Walgreens where the pharmacist took my blood pressure - too high, though not insanely high, so I'm just resting it up. Nurse Cindy would be kind to me if I went in, but I don't know about IMC . . .
The drama of this week was, of course, figuring out what was wrong with Andrew. After being told on Saturday how irresponsible it would be to take a chest x-ray by instacare woman, I was left with an insanely sick child on Sunday. He fell into a feverish sleep on Sunday afternoon right before we went on a family walk, so Gary wrapped him in blankets and put him in the stroller. He was too sick to be in the stroller, though, so we brought him back in. I held him in my lap for a very long time as he moaned and breathed unevenly. He had a pattern of being kind of okay in the mornings, just a lowgrade fever, but then burning up and too miserable to even get up to go to the bathroom by 2. I called and left a message for the p.a. we were working with Monday afternoon, expecting to need to run in and get tests done immediately, but got told he'd swing by our house and bring a lab order that night. Very kind of him! So, I got the labs done first thing Tuesday, and Andrew had a more miserable afternoon than ever . . . but I never got a call back about results.. Meanwhile, each night when I'd have contractions, I'd stare at the clock thinking, "If I have this baby, what are we going to do with Andrew? How will we get him the right help? Who can take care of him?"
A borrowed pulse ox Tuesday night said his oxygen was a bit low, but not crazy low. Wednesday morning I called the pediatrician and said I needed an appointment with the doctor himself - we were on day 11 of fever. They worked us in, but I called Gary and mom bawling right after, afraid I'd be put off again. Then - HALLELUJAH - the doctor took us super seriously! Previously I'd felt like I needed to try really hard to explain just how sick he was, but this time the doctor was asking me the questions. It probably helped that by this point his oxygen was only at 91 and he'd lost 5% of his body weight in a week, but still. We got sent right away for a chest x-ray, and I got a call a few hours later to come back in for a Rochephin (antibiotic) shot. He definitely had pneumonia, and getting pretty nasty by the time it was caught. Andrew was still way sick that night (that's when the puking began), but I felt awesome - we finally knew what was going on and were getting it taken care of! He got another shot and another med, in addition to the nebulizing we're doing (which crazily enough he loves), and day by day he's getting better! He's almost there now.
K, so that was fun. Sorry about all that, but really, it was taking up a lot of my thinking space. Now, the fun - it was Josh's birthday on Friday! He was sooo excited, I was afraid to disappoint, but Josh is so happy, I love it! I made his requested sticky buns for breakfast (easy), let him open his present from us before school (an NFL football uniform costume, with a helmet and iron-on numbers. The numbers are a big deal, he has been wanting this since October), and gave him the Oreos he had picked out to give his class. As he was putting the Oreos in his backpack, he hugged me and said, "This is the best birthday ever." What a kid! I may have spent the day chasing kiddos and cleaning up two inches of poo water that was all over the bathroom and soaked into my new carpet, but he had a grand day at school, just having a birthday.
After school the big fun arrived - Cindy, Kristen, and their chillins. The kids played constantly, and had an "epic" rugby game even Braden couldn't quit talking about. Although Cindy and Kristen were both surprised at Andrew's weight loss (his underwear sags, people, this is something never before possible), Beckett was able to get more playing out of him than he'd done in two weeks. True, Andrew took a lot of breaks, and Beckett was waaay confused when Andrew climbed in bed at one point, but the draw of Beckett always got him going again. Josh was elated at the festivities, as was I. Cindy and Kristen saved me from my clean laundry that was getting soaked just as I lost the ability to walk, and helped Gary put my bed back together. Lissy was in heaven with the babies. Later on she was telling me about them, and then said, "Yeah, and another good one is Sophie." She loves Sophie and all her Gumby tricks. So, happy birthday to a really adorable 8 year old, it was really perfect. Noah also got some birthday love from cousins, and wore his sweat bands to his soccer game the next day. It was awesome.
So, yes, then Saturday Gary worked his butt off and I worked while scooting my butt all around the floor, and here we are, Sunday, that one day, hoping we have more news for you soon than a silly headache. Oh, yes, and Josh is wearing his uniform for the third day in a row, Noah is wearing his BYU jersey, and there has been a lot of "versing." They also made themselves a locker room. Meanwhile, Andrew is making a "construction site" in the back, and says the ground is getting even, and every now and then Lissy puts on a helmet and yells, "BYU, hike, hike, hike!"





No comments:
Post a Comment