Then suddenly he was one, loving his birthday party, but shy to be the center of attention once the cake came out.
The second birthday really made an impression, because he has talked about this cake ever since then. He was so excited to get a new bike he kept saying, "Thank you, dad, thank you," over and over.Well, the big day arrived, and even though it was low-key, I don't think it was a disappointment to him. I love little kids! My mom invited us to her house for his birthday so we could all celebrate together. There's nothing better than cousins to make Josh happy, so it all worked out. It all started out with a waffle breakfast made by my dad. In this breakfast picture I said, "Smile like it's Josh's birthday!" and this was the result. (Sorry, Tate.)
Josh played with his cousins outside all day, so much so that he got blisters on his nose from sunburn. Oops. Josh and Tate decided drinking water from bowls would be a great activity to keep the party going right.
So this year's cake wasn't as adorable as last year's Elmo, but it looks like he still loves it, right?
Finally, the dream coming true . . . (Was it mean to spread the candles out so, or did it just keep the dream alive longer?)
He was excited about this gift from grandma (Gary's mom). He's been building with it ever since.
Gary and I gave Josh these trucks. When he opened up the package he said, "Holy cow!" and then he saw that it came with a hard hat and said, "Oh, a hat, too!" He knows how to make his parents feel like a million bucks. (He also loves his jacket, shirt, and swimming pool from grandmas, by the way.)
Oh, Joshy, I love you so much. You make me laugh and smile every day. I hope that when you sized me up that day 3 years ago I seemed up to the standard of being your mom, because you are a precious gift to me.
Bonus Josh stories from the day:
We took Josh to a community baseball game because my brother in law in on the team, and Josh loves baseball. He loved pretending to bat while the real batters where hitting. A lady saw him and thought it was cute and asked, "How old are you?" Josh looked up at me like he was trying to make sure it was okay to say what he was planning to. I gave a smile and he proudly said, "THREE!"
I took Josh (and myself) to the bathroom at the game. The bathroom door was bolted open, and I foolishly chose the stall that opens right in front of it. The door locked, so no big deal, right? Well, when it was my turn Josh unlocked and opened the door wide open. I was panicked, "Josh shut the door or everyone will see me going pee!" And I slammed it. As soon as I let go Josh opened the door and yelled, "Hey, everybody, don't watch my mom going pee!" Gary said, "Oh, man, that's the oldest trick in the book." Thanks, guys.
11 comments:
My favorite moment was definitely when he opened your present and said, "Holy cow!" That phrase just cracks me up coming from someone so small. Also, I'm so used to Josh's fine head of hair that I forgot how bald he was on his first birthday. What a cutie.
I love Josh!!!
So many things to say...
First, I was at Josh's first birthday party and LOVED IT!
Second, Josh is too fun! I should have expected as much, given his parents.
Third, um, love the bathroom stories. haha. And the picture of him hugging his cake!! What a great post!
Happy Birthday to a cute boy! Seriously, you've got some funny kids. Love the stories.
Once in the while you can see the whole picture. What a great post for both of you. He is full of personality--gee, I wonder where he gets that?
A little baby Josh, who burst on the scene unexpectedly early 3 years ago.I didn't realize Josh wasn't expected!
The key word is 'early.' He was expected (obviously :)), just not over 3 weeks early, with his poor daddy out of town . . .
I think my girls would really be impressed with an Elmo cake. Do you know where I can get one? I love that you and Cindy's kids get to hang out together. I bet there's never a dull moment at your parents' house.
i can't believe it was three years ago you were puking out your sister's window between contractions. wow.
time does fly.
I really can't wait to see your little guy. it will be so fun to reconnect when we move out there. he seems so full of fun personality!
love it!\love you\love birthdays\love cake!
Emily I just spent the last 15 minutes or so catching up on your blog!! I love how write and you are so much fun!! I miss you as my companion for VT. I hope you are doing well and I just wanted you to know that my hear to goes out for your sister and I know as well how blessed we are to have the resurrection!! I am very excited for that day and will always be grateful to the Savior for this amazing gift!! Please send her my love!! She is lucky to have a sister like you who cares so much and who will support her!! Something I was told once is that our Father makes NO mistakes. I have thought of that so much and know that there are greater blessings awaiting for your sister becuase of her strength and lessons that she could only gain through this hardship!! I wish her the best! Happy Birthday Josh!!
Post a Comment