All the cousins on Easter, looking great in their Easter best, except Gary and Emily's kids . . . it seems they were given new shirts from San Diego by their grandmother, and couldn't wait to wear them. Oh well, I still think they're cute, and I am amused that Josh is the gorilla amongst the church-goers.
A little egg-dying action. (Nope, can't wear a shirt for that.)
Noah celebrated Easter by crawling around trying to get people to feed him. Everyone obliged, so it was a great day for Noah. Now a small digression. Madeline was officially diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis about 3 weeks ago. When my sister called to tell me, I started out by trying to list all of the positive things I could think of, but then just stopped and said, "This really stinks, though, go ahead and cry." So she did. And I did. I cried on the phone with Sarah and afterwards, because my poor little niece has a lot to deal with in life, and because my poor little sister was crying about her baby. I was able to dry my tears and have a fine evening, but then woke up with a start in the middle of the night. Josh has had a lot of digestive issues in his life. I have a 50% chance of being a CF carrier . . . could Josh have CF, too? I was gripped with panic. I shot out of my bed and ran to Josh's room to lick his forehead. (One of the symptoms of CF is that they taste salty. Licking the child's forehead is something parents are actually told to do when CF is in question.) Josh passed his 3 a.m. lick test, which should have made the whole thing amusing to me, but it wasn't. I was sad to hear about my niece having the disease, but the thought of my own child having it was a dagger to the heart. I realized at that moment that not only is my sister going through more than I can imagine, but that none of us can really know what others are going through unless we experience their sadnesses ourselves. To that degree, I want to be a better listener, a better helper, and extend more sympathy towards others.
Which brings me back to Easter. Although we didn't know exactly what was wrong with her at the time, we knew there was something. And as she was blessed that Easter Sunday, I felt a special significance in the occasion. Madeline's body has a lot to deal with right now, but it won't forever. Easter is about the resurrection of Jesus Christ, which makes it possible for everyone to have their body forever someday, free of problems. So in the long run Madeline's body will be as perfect as her little spirit. My sister and her husband are doing much better with this whole thing now, and we know that Madeline will have a great life, pretty close to normal. But whenever there are problems, we can be comforted by the promise that has been extended to all, that we celebrated on the day of her blessing. Someday all of the physical ailments will be gone and death will no longer separate us from loved ones, because Jesus Christ was resurrected. That is a reason to celebrate!




10 comments:
This is so touching. I never thought about all the significance of the day for Maddie but this sure hits it. I'm really glad we can repent and make things better for ourselves and others because I sure want to be with all those sweethearts FOREVER!!!!!!! They are adorable even if they are my grandkids.
Wow, that is a great picture of the parentals with Madeline. So adorable. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about CF and our reasons to rejoice!
Thanks for the reminder. I think that it is the hardest thing in the world when your child is sick, I can't imagine a constant sickness. We are so blessed to have the understandings of our Savior and his atonement and resurrection!
You make me want to run in lick Adelyn's forehead, bacause of her slow growth... I will wait for other Doctor results to come back first. Anyway, I really admire that you were able to stop and just be a shoulder to cry on. I know I like to fix things, and I wonder how many times I have passed up the opportunity to just be the shoulder to cry on. I want to be a better listener as well. As usuall you are inspiring.
My heart is aching for Sarah and her Madeline - I've been awaiting an update. Maddie will be in our prayers. Sarah is sure lucky to have you as a sister Em - you've always been a great listener. Keep us posted on Maddie.
It is such a blessing that we know that one day these physical difficulties will be overcome. I know I am grateful for that knowledge.
Great post, Em. I am really sorry about the challenges your sister and her family will face. I'm glad that they have you and the rest of your incredible family to support them. Love ya!
i love Noah's eyes and Josh's smile, and am praying for your sis and her baby.
love,
krista
That was beautiful. I envy your poetic posts.
I loved this, because when I read this and your freaking out over Josh I thought "YES!! That is why Sarah is freaking out!" and then you pointed out the same thing. Sweet baby Madeline.
Post a Comment