Friday, July 17, 2009

Walking CF Into the Ground

No, the cystic fibrosis walk wasn't a hoax that put your money into my bank account - we really did do the walk. THANK YOU to all who donated. Our tiny little team was able to raise almost $800 in 3 days, and I was in awe at the caring and generosity of many. We are all really grateful for what modern medicine is already doing for Madeline, and feel very hopeful that advances will continue to be made. Thanks again for helping to provide some funds to keep those improvements coming! Here's how things went at the big walk.

Team Maddie before the big walk. Me, Josh, Noah (only forehead showing), Gary, Hannah, Sarah, Dave, and Madeline. I took the walking notion very seriously. I dressed to really just walk the disease right away, but learned it wasn't a totally necessary dress code. That's okay, I was serious about really licking CF. This fox is the mascot for the local minor league basketball team, and Josh was absolutely fascinated as it walked around pumping everyone up to cure cystic fibrosis. The team is the Flash, thus making this the Flash Fox, and every few moments Josh would ecstatically squeal, "The Flash Fox, mom, the Flash Fox!" When it was his time to shine and get his picture with the fox, Josh was too full of awe to smile. Hard to beat a basketball playing fox.

But when it was time, we slapped his favorite hat on him and he was ready to stroll for the cause.

Noah was also pumped to be proactively strolling in behalf of his cousin.

And we were off. This is what it looks like to walk for cystic fibrosis, folks.

Had to stop for hydration, of course. (It looks extreme to see me downing Vitamin Water for the cause.)
Dave and Madeline half-way through. Don't want to intrude upon their moment by further commentary.

This is Madeline's reaction to everyone rallying around her.

Josh likes her.

I need to stop posting pictures of myself looking awful, but I really love this after-walk moment. Turns out there was a barbeque afterwards, which was a great bonus. My favorite part of this picture is Noah's reaction towards the apple.
After all of that, we went swimming, and had a great time. It was my last chance to ride the waterslides while my pregnancy was still discreet enough that the teenage lifeguards didn't dare say anything about it. THEN we had cheesesteaks, which I mention because Gary and I loved it and I need to remember them. What a day . . . cystic fibrosis doesn't stand a chance after that.

4 comments:

Janiebelle007 said...

Did the sandwiches have pflaff? If not I bet they really weren't that good. You are a much better cook. YOu guys look like you had fun!

Tiffany said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun!! You are so awesome and funny! I love to read your blog!

Anonymous said...

Do you think people like the dude in the fox costume smile for pictures? They could be crying for all we know.

sarahflib said...

Oh, Emily. I adore you. Thanks for walking for CF.