Friday, June 26, 2009

Enchiladas With Plaff

I am indescribably exhausted. I was hoping for a second trimester boost, but recently I've just felt like a zombie walking around. I try to exercise to get some energy (so glad I can return to the gym now), I eat reasonably well, I get a reasonable amount of sleep . . . but wow, I feel tired just typing. What have I added to my schedule? Well, the gym, as mentioned, and I now teach dance lessons to little girls twice a week. Just twice a week, shouldn't be making an impact.

So exactly how tired am I? Last night I climbed in bed (not too late, either), and Josh made some crazy sound in his sleep. The thought that came to my mind was, "That child sounds like an enchilada." What?! Yet that was my first thought, one that didn't seem strange until this morning.

This thought of mine reminds me of my dear son Joshua, who is constantly making up words whenever he doesn't have one. Here are a few he's come up with recently:

-Josh was playing in his room and Gary asked him what he was doing. "Playing with the duckgums," was Josh's reply. (They were Triominoes.)
-He is constantly drawing something he calls "penshuns." No, he's never heard us talking about "pensions," as far as he knows he made that up. He draws penshuns for everyone. "Mom, I found Noah's penshun on the floor!" he'll say.
-We were getting shelves built in our house (hooray for that, more later), and there were little scraps of wood all over. Josh picked some up and proclaimed he was playing with fees.
- At dinner Gary asked me what recipe I used. Josh said, "I have a recipe. It has sugar and plaff."

I know there's more that I'm forgetting, like I said, he does this often. The crazy thing is, he remembers the words he made up. A couple of days later, he cleaned up the duckgums, and called them the same thing. Similar story with the other words. Funny boy. As for Noah, he's getting a lot of attention by sweetly saying, "Hi, hi," to everyone he sees. Aaaah. Writing happy things just gave me an energy boost. Maybe I have the strength to go buy more plaff . . .

10 comments:

Michelle said...

oh joshy! how your words maketh me laugh.

I hope you realize that 2 dance classes you are TEACHING and going to the gym totally justifies you for some serious "i'm exhausted" feelings and remarks. Shoot, I recently added taking (not teaching, mind you) cade to swim lessons twice a week and I feel like the wind has been knocked out of me. and I'm not pregnant. You're totally justified girl. wish I had some energy to share. have a bowl of Wheaties, maybe?

candcfamily said...

So sorry that you are so tired. Have you tried Diet Coke? I've heard that works wonders.Hee,Hee

Janiebelle007 said...

I'm bummed I didn't get a great enchilada recipe! The picture is wonderfully appetizing.

Kim said...

Emily -
I totally feel for you! Pregnancy is hard work! Especially the third one - I was a zombie for at long time with that third one. Good Luck!

sarahflib said...

Mmm . . . I want some plaff now. Chef Josh really knows what he's talking about.

EmJay said...

I love those cute made up words. Three cheers for you for remembering to document them!

Renae said...

"sounds like and enchilada?" lol! Pensions and fees... is there a theme here ;) I hope you feel better soon. Pregnancy tiredness can be the pits!

Syphus Circus said...

How cute is that? I honestly can't stop laughing. What a darling boy. That picture made me crave enchiladas...hmph!

Kris and Q said...

I love your story about the enchilada. Only when your prego do crazy funny things like that seem to happen.

Emily S said...

Recently:
peanut popper - What was all over his pants on the 4th of July when he claimed hadn't peed them.

realcumbers - little sticks his friend gave him

cocoarimay - what we had for Sunday dinner, some type of Mexican chicken with sauce