It's official. I can now say that in all 3 pregnancies I have been asked by complete strangers if I'm having twins. The situation that made it offical was actually rather amusing. I was on the elevator at IKEA with my two boys and a European man (always a good start). He was being nice and showing interest in my kids, and said, "So, zis new baby is coming out soon?"
I sigh-smiled and said, "Well, kind of soon, we've got about two months to go."
"Two months?" His face showed clear surprise. "Are you having ze twins?"
"Nope, there's just one baby boy in there." I said it as cheerfully as I could, given that I was answering the twins question.
"Oh, well, having boys is better than nothing." He might have been trying to console me . . .
Hahahaha. I told Gary this story, and he thinks I should get that phrase in vinyl and hang it in our children's bedroom. (Having boys is better than nothing.) (For the record, MUCH better than nothing. Fantastic, in fact, I think mine are quite great.)
Then on to exploring the dark and light side of humanity. So after a while of IKEA, it was time to go. We'd been there a while (Josh isn't exactly focused at such places), and it was lunch and nap time for Noah. He was starting to cry and try to get me to pick him up, but problem was, I hadn't been able to get an actual shopping cart. I had one of those enviromentally friendly/mom-hater carts that hang a yellow bag and allow you to put two things in it, one of which cannot be an easel. However, since I was purchasing an easel, I was awkwardly balancing the easel in one hand, the cart in the other, and my looks-like-twins belly inbetween. And also trying not to lose Josh permanently as he ran in and out of large pallets of furniture. Then, we encountered a problem - very, very long lines at the check-out.
As Noah's screams grew louder, the easel slipped lower, and Josh got farther away, I wondered if we'd make it. Then a nice woman behind me said, "Why don't you go to that line over there? It looks like it's just opening up." Saved! As I awkwardly made my way over, two people (who were sans children and any obvious physical disabilities), started running to get ahead of me in the new line. Actually racing a pregnant woman with a screaming baby! I was more than a little annoyed that such people even exist, but then the nice woman saved the day. She had a flat-bed cart, and offered for me to put my things on it while we waited so I could pick up Noah. Noah was very happy, and the woman chatted with me during our wait about my cute boys and how she remembers when her kids were that age. She made a rapidly-turning-extremely-unpleasant experience turn into a fine one. I felt happy and relaxed and forgot about all the rest.
So, two things from that. First of all, don't know who you are, but I'm sending a big thank-you into cyber space. Maybe someone who actually reads this deserves a thank-you for something else. Second, isn't it cool how a kind deed/person can counteract so much other junk? I think so . . . makes me want to try and be that person.
10 comments:
I loved reading this story- you are too funny! I'm glad a sweet lady saved the day for ya- it was much deserved...(I love Gary's idea for putting the saying on vinyl lettering too- I can only imagine!)
I feel like a jerk, yesterday at church when i said "oh no I look like you" I did not mean it to be rude. You only have 10 weeks left and I have what a good 24 weeks! I can't look like a woman who is 7 months pregnant. I hope i didn't offend you. I would give anything to look like you at 7 months but I will be busting out of my dress. I really hope you don't think i'm the biggest dope, I really do think you look great!!!
I feel like a jerk, yesterday at church when i said "oh no I look like you" I did not mean it to be rude. You only have 10 weeks left and I have what a good 24 weeks! I can't look like a woman who is 7 months pregnant. I hope i didn't offend you. I would give anything to look like you at 7 months but I will be busting out of my dress. I really hope you don't think i'm the biggest dope, I really do think you look great!!!
The problem is that people have no concept of how big a woman might actually get with twins, not to mention no concept of how much size can vary from woman to woman (or pregnancy to pregnancy) even with singletons. But you look great, and the whole situation makes me laugh thinking about it. I love the accent.
And I'm glad that lady saved the day. We really do have a lot of power to positively (or negatively) impact people's lives by the small things we do. I'm sure chatting with you and letting you put the easel on her cart was seriously not a big deal for that woman. But what a big difference it made for you!
Melissa - Hopefully I'll talk to you before you ever read this, but for the record, no worries at all! I thought you were being self-depreciating, and I wanted to catch you and say, "Where else is a baby supposed to go in a tiny body like yours?" Ah, us women . . .
You should be proud for making it through IKEA with two children. You are a brave woman. My girls would have gotten lost somewhere in the kitchen section. I do like your idea of the vinyl lettering. Maybe you could put it on the back of your car with your vinyl stick figures. I know what you mean about wanting to be a better person. I so appreciate people who help me when I'm in distress with two babies. As for being large. Measure. I was 47.5 inches at 35 weeks. I'm pretty sure my skin couldn't have stretched anymore and I have the marks to prove it.
p.s. Have you considered naming him Boris?
The only time it really matters what anyone says is when your own mother says (and I quote) "You get really big when you're pregnant, don't you?" Need I say more?
Gary, I am very interested in seeing pictures from your trip.
Emily you are so brave!! I have been like that before and would have loved for a lady to save me anyone would have been good!! Your blog is so fun to read!! I didn't even know you were pregnant and with another boy noless!! YEah someone else who can relate!! It is so much fun!!
And You are that kind of person!! Hope you have a great day!!!
Funny - one of the most ridiculous comments made to me while I was pregnant was also from a man in Ikea... Is there something in the meatballs?
Post a Comment