Sunday, August 23, 2009

Happy Anniversary, Baby, Got You On My Mind . . .

At my bridal shower someone asked me, "So, how do you go about getting married?" She was one of my friends at the apartment complex I lived in and was dealing with the routine we all do at that stage - dating, boys, dating more boys, and never does it click. She was probably partially joking, but also wondering if I, at the threshold of my own wedding, had figured out some secret that could change everything. My quick answer at the time was, "I have no idea, it just happened." Now I've had time to think up a long answer, but my answer is still the same. Of course, there are things you can do to significantly up your odds - be in places where you can meet lots of guys, give everyone a chance, pray a lot, wear deodorant, etc., but after all of that there are still amazing people who remain single and rude people who marry quickly. When Gary and I started getting serious, then decided to get married, and then got married, for real, I felt like I was living in this cloud, witnessing this unbelievable miracle.

I always take pictures when I'm worried the flowers are about to die, but I had to take a picture because I LOVED these flowers Gary got me for our anniversary that year. Beautiful.
 . . . so I wrote that paragraph nearly 4 years ago, on our 4th anniversary. I think I stopped because I wanted to be able to truly express how I feel about Gary, and give some deep answer about marriage. Four years later, I don't know how to finish. God has to be the center, from the very beginning, that much I know. He lets us choose, that's for sure. I just feel soooo blessed to be in the path of such an amazing choice. I don't remember anything else about that anniversary, but I'm really glad I captured a few thoughts.
 

Gary brought me grapefruit because the 4th anniversary is the fruit anniversary. Cute.


Also, Gary brought me Cafe Rio at a time when there was no Cafe Rio anywhere around. When I started crazily taking pictures to remember this anniversary, it meant a lot to me.



No comments: