Saturday, March 19, 2011

Winter in a Nutshell

There aren't many nutshells around in the winter, but I dug one up today. Here's from the good old family update.


Our computer up and died a few months ago. So, no participation in internet whatnot. (This is Gary's work computer.)

Gary just finished the most brutal (long hours) legislative session so far, and we all survived. This year his area was especially busy because of all of the immigration legislation, so we almost never saw him. So, while the days all melt into single-parenthood wintery mush for me, there are some things that stand out. First of all, I got released from my calling at the end of January . . . yeah, the second time in two years I've been released from a presidency because the president has moved. So, now I will be doing something or other with family history. I'm sure this change of calling will free up millions of hours, sometime in the future. 

Also at the end of January, the kids and I escaped to St. George where I ran a half marathon. I ran with two of my sisters, and since we hadn't done much training for it we ran slow, but I ran the whole way, finished, and had fun. My dad, whose idea it was to enter, beat us by half an hour. My kids had a fun time hanging out with Deanne and Holly during the race (they still like the do mi mi song), and I enjoyed hanging out with them afterward. It was so fantastic to escape the winter blues with a trip down there!

Andrew's 15 month check-up brought two referrals to Primary Children's. The first was to the orthopedist for his bowed legs. The diagnosis . . . "You are one bow-legged dude," the doctor said. Luckily, he doesn't have problems with his feet, hips, or spine, so the problem will self-correct with no further intervention. His limp is still kind of sad, but he'll be okay. We were told the problem is likely a case of a heavy child walking early. Gary chuckled at that. The second visit was to the pediatric ENT for his perma-cold, sleep apnea, and tongue lesions. The tongue will be okay, but his adenoids have got to come out. That will happen Monday, and we are so excited. We figure what we spend on the surgery will be made up in savings on Kleenex. Cute little Andrew might finally feel well . . .

We're all into Jimmer-Mania around here, and though it might all end tonight (please don't!), it's been a ton of fun. Got us through the winter. I was going to send Matthew some Jimmer highlights, complete with a yell, for his birthday, but the computer went nuts. Too much to handle, I guess. You can look up your own, though, I'd recommend a little Jimmersion to cure what ails you.

It's been awesome to have Gary this week, maybe someday we'll get back into a family groove. We went to Preston for my sister's 30th birthday party at Pop N Pins lanes (decor not updated since Napoleon Dynamite). We had tons of fun, and Gary was impressed with my family's abilities to keep score in bowling (there is no electronic there). Gary with his silver spoon never had to use a paper and pencil when bowling . . . :) So, that's the last couple of months in a nutshell. When you see Josh he'll tell you about the badge he got when the policeman told mom to slow down, Gary will tell you about the rejected feral cat bill, Noah will demonstrate his Spiderman skills, Andrew will hopefully be done slobbering, and if you want, I'll dish about my gallbladder. Can't wait!

10 comments:

sarahflib said...

Somehow I wasn't informed that my sister was even having a 30th birthday party at Pop N Pin lanes, but I'm glad you guys had fun. And at least it decreases Madeline's chance of having picked up RSV from them. Also, Gary didn't at least have to learn how to score bowling in P.E. or something? That's why we're all masters at it, you know.

EmJay said...

I was converted by jimmersion too! The game totally rocked. I'm glad your little guy's going to be ok. Good luck with the upcoming surg.

This Idaho Girl said...

Thank you, Miss Fuhriman. Although I never progressed as a bowler, I , too, can keep score the old fashioned way. I do love Pop N' Pins. Glad to hear you survived the legislative session. It gives me hope that I might survive a deployment. I'll let you know next June. Let me know when you're up again, my girls loved your mom's house and I loved chatting with you.

Hannah said...

Hope all goes well with Andrew's surgery. I called, but you didn't answer. Probably because it was bed time. Love you!

Tiffany said...

Oh how I love the way you write! I hope Andrew's surgery goes well and that it cures all his ailments!

Elisabeth (and Tyler) said...

Do you know what the cure is for all the ails me? Reading a good old fashioned update from the Gibby-Syphus crowd. It's good for my soul. I LOVE the way you write!

Anna said...

Oh friend, your posts make me miss you. As the weather warms up I think you and your boys should schedule a few extra hours for your next trip to SL and come swim in the free pool at my apartment. Then we can chat and the boys will be entertained!

Shalet said...

Best of luck with everything!

r & k said...

you keep score when you bowl?

Michelle said...

So glad you have your hubby back! Just in time for me to say goodbye to mine. :( It is nice to know you can relate though. Really.
I am so proud of you for running THE WHOLE time in your half-marathon. That's truly awesome. I'm so glad you got to escape there for a bit. I pray the surgery goes well--- poor little andrew. :( I was thinking about Josh during Jimmer-mania and was imagining all the joy he was experiencing.
So sorry about your computer. :( But I bet it's kind of nice to be disconnected from the world. And good luck with your calling! Yay for you.
love you lots gibby girl. And just so you know, the respect I had for you before has officially quadrupled knowing that you grew up scoring bowling on pencil and paper. I myself have no earthly clue how that is done, being raised on a silver spoot and all. but then again, bowling in Virginia was outrageously priced I didn't go. Coming to BYU was the best thing. I could bowl AND rent shoes for well under 30 bucks. (seriously, anything fun back east is not priced for a family with kids. It's priced for a single, working executive on a date)
Anyhow, love you! love your updates. We need to chat so you can preach to me all about the public education system. Seriously. xoxo