Friday, December 14, 2012

Our Ultimate Safety in This Life

There are some crappy things happening in the world. Every day, really, but some hit home more painfully. Today's events caused a round of sobbing and tears, hugging babies and saying prayers. (Future reference, though I hate typing it - there was a school shooting today where lots of little kids were killed.) There are a lot of thoughts one has when these things happen, but I really feel like I need to share this. A few years ago an LDS bishop was shot and killed. In the church, on a Sunday. In response to that, Elder Quentin L. Cook of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles said this (in part).
The ultimate safety in all that we do in life is the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Our doctrine is clear. Through his Atonement, Jesus Christ fulfilled His Father's purpose and made it possible for each of us to enjoy immortality and eternal life. The Savior's Atonement not only provides for the assurance of eternal life and reunion wit our loved ones, but all that is unfair about life can be made right through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Our faith in the Lord Jesus Christ is the primary security in this life.
The Atonement of Jesus Christ is the ultimate safety in all that we do . . .primary security . . . when I wonder and talk about what to do about the crazy world, I want my family to have the ultimate safety.

6 comments:

Jones said...

Oh man, I should have called you Emily. I was really struggling with this, and still am. I told Jacob I was going to go check the kids out of school for the rest of the year ;) only half joking (crazy prego emotional-ness!) Thank you for this quote. I knew that if I turned to the apostles and read some inspiring words I would feel a bit more peace about it all. So thanks! So terribly hard though.
Robyn

Emily S said...

Stuff like this stays in the back of my brain always . . . that's why I've had this quote on my fridge for a few years now. It doesn't take away the human emotions that come, but it does bring peace and helps me to re-focus my efforts. And call anytime - I'm not even pregnant and it bothers me that I can only hold 3 out of 4 of my babies today!

sarahflib said...

Thanks for sharing these words. They are perfect. Today I have heard a lot of people express the thought that home school must be the way to go. But if we look at all of the shootings in recent years, we would see that it's not safe to go to elementary school, high school, college, a military base, the movie theater, or even the grocery store. It's so awful and we can never completely protect against it. Better to build our faith and rely on the Savior and trust in these words.

Emily S said...

Or there's always home intruders or car accidents . . . you're right, paranoia is not faith, and I of all people know I need to work on that. That's why the example of the bishop getting shot at church on Sunday stands out to me - home school/order stuff online/get a personal security system . . . but in the end the only security we have is Christ.

Ali said...

Seriously, the most comforting pictures and posts on facebook that I've seen today have been those referencing Christ and He is the only thing that can bring peace at a time like this.

r & k said...

Sweet quote. So true. What an awesome thing - the Atonement.