I had this crazy, awesome dream a few weeks ago that Gary had a lot of time off work and we spent a week as a family playing and doing projects . . . and somehow I have pictures and pretty vivid memories, so I'm thinking maybe it was real? I'm going to act like it was.
So, pause. This is my first time blogging about Christmas. First. We always get slammed into a crazy Gary-works-every-second winter right after Christmas, so I never get to it, but somehow, even though Gary is doing his working thing, I'm waiting for brownies to bake to bring to Josh's school and the other kids are playing, so the cosmos are aligned . . . ooooh . . . (Side note - I wrote this part in January.)
So, Christmas. First event, church. We weren't able to get the kids new clothes, but from what I was able to find around here, we didn't need to. They looked good. I certainly say so myself. Gary made his debut as choir director for the big program, and he got lots of compliments. I enjoyed listening. Most importantly, there was a lazer-focus on Christ that day. I can't remember the exact stories and scriptures, but I know I felt so profoundly grateful for the birth of the son of God.
 |
| I post all three pictures because getting a picture of them all looking is not possible. Now, I will always be able to make a mental composite. Lissy was sick, so she wasn't the cheeriest. |
On Christmas Eve, my kids woke up EXCITED OUT OF THEIR MINDS. Caps necessary. We spent the day cleaning up, making last minute preparations, and taking Lissy to the doctor. Yep, poor girl, even sicker on Christmas Eve than she was the day before. I was worried she was developing worse breathing problems, but she was okay there. Had a pretty ugly ear infection (they said), so there was an awesome braving Walmart on Christmas Eve trip after that to get the medicine. Bad that it took forever, fun that I saw people I knew to say Merry Christmas to.
Finally it was time for our big Christmas Eve extravaganza. It's actually small, but big to us. We had tacos for dinner, which made the second Christmas Eve in a row where we had Mexican food. I think "The Noche before Navidad" may become a tradition for us. Then, I let kids put all of the wrapped presents under the tree. We can't do it before then, because Lissy likes to unwrap. It seems there's always one who will do that, so that's probably a tradition, too, for a while. The kids got more and more giddy, and it was infectious. I love seeing my excited little boys!
We had been reading a scripture a night regarding the Nativity, so on Christmas Eve, we just reviewed it and read a scripture about the Savior. Last year I started the tradition of letting the kids put a piece of straw in the manger for good and kind things they did. So, we did it again this year, but of course I didn't get it all put together until the last minute. It's okay, they were very motivated to remember all of their good deeds on Christmas Eve, and were very proud of their full mangers to lay Baby Jesus in. It was adorable to see how carefully they wrapped the little Jesus dolls.
 |
| They were so proud of the mangers they made for Baby Jesus. |
 |
| Up close shot of the mangers. |
My magical moment in the winter disappeared, and so now I'm capturing this moment in the spring . . it's months later, but I did more this year than ever before, so I'm calling progress! Okay, so after we did the Nativity and got our Baby Jesus(es) cozy, we opened our new Christmas Eve pajamas. Everyone was thrilled. Thrilled to the point of jumping and shouting and running everywhere. Andrew got Angry Birds pajamas, and he leaped up and down in excitement saying, "Angry Birds, I got Angry Birds!!" You would have to hear how he says it. Then the other kids would say things like, "Launch, Andrew, launch!" Funny. Noah loved his Lego Star Wars pajamas, and Josh loved his football pajamas. Poor kid put his pants on and they went to his arm pits. Huh? I looked at the tag, and someone had messed up. The shirt was his size, but the pants were for a 12 year old. I was amazed at how he took it in stride and just put on some other football pants he had. Oh, yes, and Lissy liked her heart pajamas (I actually got at her baby shower) and Gare Bear was happy in his long-sleeved Cougars tee.
 |
| Yes, Christmas pajamas! |
 |
| Gary got me work out clothes. Chilly, but perfect. Photography by Josh. |
Gary and I had sooo much fun playing Santa that night. Gary's Santa always wrapped gifts growing up, and mine never did. We have decided that it's fun to go for a mix. My kids wouldn't have much to open if Santa wrapped nothing, and it's fun to see you have presents on Christmas morning. However, some things aren't easy to wrap, and it's also fun to see awesome stuff all set up in a magical display. So, we wrap until we get tired, and set it all up in a fun way. I had a really hard time sleeping that night. I hadn't been that sleepless since I was a kid - I was just so giddy thinking of how much my kids would love it! I wish I remembered the details of the kids waking up (I'll do better next time), but I do know they were adorable and it was exciting.
 |
| Noah got his longed-for rubber snake. Dreams fulfilled. |
 |
| Andrew would have been happy to stop at the aircraft carrier, and be done with Christmas. It was hard to get him to go on to other items. I'm so glad he can be happy with just a little. Oh, yes, and it's awkward to wrap used things, so Santa didn't, and it was perfect for Andrew. |
 |
| Using a mix of adorableness and hilariousness, Lissy ran past all of the boy toys and went straight for her doll stroller. We did not tell her it was for her, but she loved it immediately. It was so cute Gary and I couldn't get over it all morning. |
 |
| Yes, she IS the stuff. |
 |
| The boys made a present for Gary, and were very excited to watch him open it. |
 |
| Thanks, grandma! |
 |
| Thanks grandma! |
 |
| Thanks, grandma! |
 |
| And thanks again grandma! |
 |
| Andrew got his requested cat. He didn't know these existed, but he can't get a real cat, so he will settle for Furreal. All day he kept saying, "My cat said meow!" It was pretty great. |
 |
| I made a little dolly bed for Lissy. She had some ideas about who it's for. |
 |
| A little Halloween clearance to round out the haul . . . they are really into this stuff. |
 |
| And the Fisher Price party keeps on giving . . . Lissy loves this puppy. Also, I have all of the songs stuck in my head now. |
 |
| Ninjago playing - the kids sat and played this forever. |
 |
| Play necklaces for a stocking stuffer - she was soooo excited to put them on, take them off, put them on other people, repeat . . . she's a girl. Look, she chose the matching one. |
 |
| Playing pirate ship is awesome, but playing it with dad? The level above the next level of awesome. |
 |
| The entire Christmas break was full of Beyblade battles. Gary and I even got into it, it can be kind of addicting. |
 |
| It's our princess! |
 |
| What is this picture, I don't know, but I gave Gary this shirt, and he looks good. Well, and surprised? |
 |
| Thanks other grandma! |
I know I have more pictures of the rest of Christmas break - of us putting together our Shelf Reliance stuff (woo-hoo for our pantry!) and of Gary building shelves in the laundry room (woo-hoo for our laundry room). It was seriously magical. We had so much fun playing with our new things, cooking food together, and doing organizing projects. The pantry and the laundry room were two huge things to tackle. We got a Roku, so lots of mindless time for all, but mostly the kids just played. Played and played, going from one thing to another for days. Oh, yes, and on Christmas Gary and I had a lovely ham dinner with our nice glasses and all. Just our little family, but it was wonderful. Near the end of the week we headed up to Preston for a fantastic New Year's party, which for sure deserves its own post. I felt so grateful to be blessed with such a wonderful week right before we got thrust into the yucks of winter. It always comes, but it's nice when it starts with great memories!
5 comments:
Lissy got her tutu after all! Did you end up making it? It all looks so fun and glorious . . . I love making things magical for the kidlets.
I love that Lissy is the little princess and that Gary is Gare bear (say it isn't so!). Is it just me, or have your boys suddenly become so big? Where does the time go? I guess it passes because you are blogging about Christmas and it's nearly April.
+1 for Noche before Navidad and the manger/straw tradition. Cool idea. Fun pictures, thanks for sharing!
Lissy got that tutu from Deanne, who bought it at Ross. Adorable.
Gary is only Gare Bear when joking, and talking about liking his shirt in the same manner as the kids liked their jammies seemed the right moment to use it. :) And yes, my boys are getting big. Photographic evidence is slim due to my lack of computer and no time during the session.
Post a Comment