Monday, December 24, 2012

Twas the Morning Before Christmas

Merry Christmas tomorrow! My kids are bouncing off the walls. Josh totally expected everyone to show up today, but sad for him, you are not. I was going to update last night, but Gary and I went to bed EARLY. So crazy. We were beat from our day . . . got home late Saturday night from out last minute exchange stuff in West Valley trip, and had to clean the house for choir practice at 9:30 a.m. Sunday morning. Gary also promised everyone cinnamon rolls. Yummy choice. Then I shared an experience in Relief Society, ran home to be with Lissy while Gary rehearsed a number with the Primary kids, ran back to church to teach Gospel Doctrine, then Gary had his big choir-director debut, then tithing settlement . . . phew. Good stuff. So anyway, updating now.

Gary's debut as choir director was great from my view, and he got tons of compliments. One amusing thing was that Andrew was sleeping when the choir came, and sweet oboe notes are what he woke up to.

Me and gospel doctrine . . . I love preparing, but people get what they get on Sundays, I guess. I checked out lots of pictures from the library yesterday that I forgot to use. Haha. Also, yes, Lissy is still sick. She is sooo sad, and chokes on her mucus to the point of throwing up. She breathes fast and coughs nasty . . . but we're still at the home-treatment point, so that's that.

This week actually turned out to be a stay at home week because of Lissy being sick. I did volunteer at Josh's class Monday, and help at Josh's class party Tuesday, but after that, kept Lissy home. At Josh's class party I did games, and it was hilarious. One game was a relay race with reindeer antlers and a Rudolph nose, and the kids were very intensely into it . . . but kept handing off and handing off and never finishing. So nobody ever won, with any of the 5 groups. First graders amuse me. Also, I thought I could keep Lissy busy with a plastic spoon covered in chocolate there, but the chocolate was gone in 2 minutes and she ate a bite of spoon. Un-lady-like. Also, Andrew licked one and put it back.

I had some ideas for treats to make for Christmas, but my kids picked out cookie cutters for sugar cookies before I even said we would make anything. So we made them. And it was great fun! Listening to Christmas music and making cookies with my boys has been my happiest moments this week. Also, we made some cordial cherry cookies, and they were sooo good! Having kids cover cherries with chocolate cookie dough is a perfect project. I mentioned we made gum drops, too. Fun. Not the yummiest ever, but the kids had fun and it made a TON.

Tooele County has a coloring book full of pages for coloring contests at various businesses . . . like they used to have in Preston. Josh was determined he would win lots of money or an iPod or something, and I felt so bad because, well, he is a 6 year old boy competing against 10 year old girls. However, I took him around to deliver his entries anyway (Noah and Andrew did a few, too), and I no longer feel bad. It was Christmas trick-or-treating. The kids got a treat at most places for just entering, and started developing candy cane stripes on their bodies by the end, so it was "worth it" to them already.

Oh, yes, no update for a few weeks - Gary sang "My Soul Hungered" at the Relief Society Christmas dinner. He hates singing solos, but he got tons of compliments. That's my man. Then, Josh did not perform in his class program because he threw up that morning. He was so sad to miss, but when his friend brought him a cookie, he was over it. Boys are awesome.

Speaking of throwing up, all of my kids did last week. After Andrew threw up, we put him in the tub. I went to check on him, and he was in the tub, relaxing, playing, enjoying himself . . . and wearing Lissy's fleece pants. Fit well, as you would imagine.

Also, it's official - Josh is missing his two front teeth for Christmas. However, they are not all he wants. He is good-natured, but remarked how he wished people would stop mentioning the song to him after a few days. Why was his mother playing so many versions? Also, he finally used some of the money he saved . . . to buy Mario gummies. Wise purchase.

Also, if you come visit us for Christmas-time, you can come look at Christmas lights with us, which are kinda cool over the lake. But mostly we spend our time watching this house: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BOcDSNvvf0

Love you tons, have a fantastic Christmas! Seriously, I am so happy inside and excited. Focusing on Christ yesterday was such a soul-lifting experience, and I hope to do it more and more.

No comments: