This day is not about me. Poor Gary is the one with the surgerized head. I'm drained, though . . . wooo . . .
All began this morning at 5 when I woke up and couldn't sleep because I knew I couldn't sleep much longer. Dumb? Why, yes. Or maybe it started last night when Gary and I realized that if he was going to be recovery-boy, we had to cut a path through our post-vacation/in-the-middle-of-closet-cleaning room. At any rate, this morning we got the kids off to our awesome friends who agreed to take care of them, and drove off to Salt Lake. Gary said, "This is like our surgery date." Yeah, it was kinda nice.
Gary was amusing and nice to be with as always during pre-op - at one point the nurse asked (on her list of questions), "Do you do drugs?" Phrasing it that way amused us. Anyway, Gary told me I should try his favorite donuts while he was in surgery. He said I had to, so I did. I went to a yummy bakery, got a few donuts (bought Gary's favorite for later), and read a book while I ate. Then I went to Trader Joe's alone. It was like Girl's Day Out. Okay hour out. Nice day so far.
The surgery went really well, and the doctor said his septum was really bad. Between that and the turbinates that needed removing/reducing, it was obvious to see why he couldn't really breathe before. I was excited to see him, but it was sad I couldn't pick him up and snuggle him like I do my surgery kids. So, I just talked at him and tried to convince him he could relax and not worry about thanking me and the nurse for our services. The nurse said Gary was "really cute" because he the second he came to he started saying, "Thank you, thank you guys so much." He gave us thumbs up, he said the nurse was doing a great job . . . what a sweetie. Of course he was under the influence of drugs, but it's so cute to see that even sub-consciously he is super kind and caring.
I got Gary home, made him a bed, and set off to pick up the kids (Lissy needed a nap by then), and get Gary his pain meds. Poor guy was needing them pretty bad. I got in the van, looked to make sure no cars were coming, and backed out of my driveway watching to make sure I didn't hit my Corolla which was in the driveway. All of the sudden I crashed into something - what?! Yeah, my neighbor's son's girlfriend was parked in with the tail end of her truck in my driveway. As in, there was no way to get the van out of my garage without hitting it. Damage to both cars, of course. YARG! Yes, I should have taken note, but when I saw the car, I just assumed it wasn't in my driveway. Also, I was tired and thinking about kids and pain meds and not hitting my other car . . . Ugh. My neighbor was nice about it, but when his girlfriend called, she wanted to talk to my insurance. Personally, if I parked with my tail in someone else's driveway, and especially if I knew they were just coming home from a surgery and had 4 small children and pain meds to pick up, I would feel like and idiot and really terrible and do something like suggest we just both pay for our own damage. But no, she stuck them both to me, because she can. I'm over it at this point in the night, but will throw out one last shout-out to people with no class who do things to make other people's lives a whole lot harder.
So, car junk, Lissy had a sad afternoon, getting to soccer practice . . . Andrew didn't get ready, but I had to drop off the soccer balls, so I took Noah and came back for Andrew. When I got back he was naked and screaming in the driveway because I left him. As I helped him get dressed, poor kid was telling that other kids call him a baby. He wants to put them in jail. I left Lissy's shoes at home, so she couldn't play on the woodchips on the playground at soccer practice. Go me.
But . . . the other moms at soccer practice are fun to talk to. The kids were so cute as they got ready for bed. We had our most reverent family prayer ever. All of the kids went to sleep - which never, ever happens. Best of all, I get to pretend to take care of Gary and I like Gary, so it's great to be with him. A lot of crazy things have happened in the world the last few days, and we are blessed to be safe. Interested to see that the day went a little nuts, and I had a happy evening and good day over all. But, like I said, I'm not the one with the surgerized head . . .
P.S. For the record, Gary had lost his sense of taste little by little for the last few years. He also felt more congested and sleepy over all, and recently he had started snoring. I didn't mind, but it just shows how he wasn't breathing well. He's been in a lot of pain today, but right now the drugs have got him feeling ok, and he should be ready to attempt life again in about a week. The doctor said he probably shouldn't leave the house until Monday when I take him to get his packing out. Also, I really like him.
4 comments:
Wow, glad to hear it went pretty well. Best wishes for your recovery, Gary.
A surgery date! Couldn't get dreamier than that. I'm so happy to hear that it went well altogether. I know from you sisters that this type of surgery can have a really nasty recovery, so I hope it goes smoothly for all of you. Also, lame about the car!
Next time you see the girlfriend's car, you should retaliate by throwing chunks of mud at it.
Yeah, we may have to pay for it, but we ain't keepin' it clean!
Post a Comment