fate - stuck with a fake tree for Christmas. And not an amazing one, either. Growing up we always had a real tree. It was usually pretty scrawny (I'm positive not expensive), but it was alive, we got to pick it out, and it smelled like Christmas. But, since we've been married Gary insists this fake tree is what we can afford. He's right, but I thought it was pretty depressing. Then I came downstairs with Josh one morning right after we put it up. He ran right over to the Christmas tree and plugged it in, then looked up at it in awe. You could see the excitement and the magic sparkling in his eyes. Then, I opened my eyes. What a beautiful thing, this tree with its twinkling lights. Then I remembered how excited Gary was to get this tree for me when Josh was a baby. We didn't have any Christmas decorations or much money, but Gary really wanted me to have a Christmas tree. Changing my thought process totally changed everything . . . I love this tree!Recently Joseph B. Wirthlin died. (He was one of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, the church I belong to.) I learned to love that man through his deeply insightful and inspirational writings. His death made me remember an article he wrote that struck my heart called Living in Thanksgiving Daily (read by clicking). In it, he tells us to be happy we need to be continually thankful for what we have, and to do so we should open our eyes, open our hearts, and open our arms (serve).
I am trying (key word is trying) to do these things. Recently I was feeling a little jealous of people who have money to look fabulous and go on cool trips. Then something happened that made me open my eyes and heart. I could do a lot of things to pull in more cash, but if my children are the most important thing in the world to me, aren't they worth forgoing new outfits and accessories? They are growing so quickly, and babies eat necklaces anyway. I have been so blessed to be able to spend so much time with them, and still be able to have our needs covered, and a lot of wants, too. Wow. I feel so good when I think of things that way.
In the spirit of the topic, I want to add that just in the last few days I have had cause to be grateful for kissable baby cheeks, monkey hugs from a toddler, a body that works well for the most part, a house that separates us comfortably from below-freezing weather, friends to talk to, technology to keep in touch with friends that I can't talk to, and a husband that I can have fun with ransacking the house for white-elephant gifts late at night. (I was going to comment that all of those things are free, but the house was definitely not free. And not the technology, either. 5 for 7 isn't bad, though.)
I'll end with two experiences that not only opened my heart to the things I'm grateful for, but made it downright melt. Yesterday I was downstairs and my kids were finishing naps. All of the sudden I heard them laughing. Both of them, just belly-laughing. They don't sleep in the same bedroom, so I went upstairs to see what was going on. This is what I found.
Last week we had our first snow storm of the year, and Josh was pumped to put on his winter gear. Here's how it turned out. (Gary said, "It looks like he's from North Dakota." I said, "It looks like he's from Utah, this is what you wear in the snow." California boys!)
Josh went outside to help Gary shovel the driveway. They then shoveled several other driveways in the neighborhood. The whole time Josh walked right alongside Gary, shoveling away. I stood at the window and watched, my heart just melting away and my day gaining a new perspective. If I wouldn't have paused my cleaning that I was stressed about and taken the chance to look out my window and open my eyes, I would have missed out on a lot. And been a lot more stressed.
7 comments:
Amen. I acknowledge that I will never be rich and we have a crappy hand me down tree that was my Grandma's. I love your Josh/Noah pictures. Josh is like a mini Gary. Thanks for reminding me to be grateful. It's hard sometimes not to complain about the day-to-days, but really, we have a lot. Can't wait to see y'all in a few days...
I love everything about this...and mostly thinking about how wild Josh is! That boy is a trip! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and wonderful life!!
I love the idea of Josh and Noah just cracking each other up. That picture in the crib is just adorable. It's so fun that they're so small and already friends . . . but what else would you expect with a cool older brother like Josh?
Also, I'm glad to see that Josh is pulling his weight with snow removal. It must be challenging with a shovel as tall as he is.
HOpefully he doesn't herniate a disc or something. There is plenty of snow at Grandma's to shovel, too.
isn't it great how perspective changes everything. I for one am jealous that you are financially able to afford a house and staying home to raise your children.
And we really missed you Friday, so lets get together soon.
Emily, I love your insight. Thank you for the perspective! Somehow it does make such a difference and changes everything.
California boys...ha ha ha ha ha ha!
What cute little boys. And being grateful isn't always easy, but when you are it sure makes life a whole lot easier.
Post a Comment