Friday, December 12, 2008

Too Busy to Say You Care? Try This!

I happened upon a mass email I wrote 5 years ago:

Happy Thanksgiving yesterday! I am in Idaho and our computer only works every now and again I guess, and yesterday must have been neither now nor again, because it didn't work. So, I am extending the holiday a day, and hoping that you had a lovely day, as I sure did. I even survived the mass production of lemon pudding on pie-making night. I know you are probably noticing the non-personal nature of this email, and groaning, and reaching to click delete, but I assure you, this email is just for you. In order to illustrate my point, I am putting a little personal message at the end . . . fill in the blanks the way you see best:

Wow, I haven't seen you since _______! What's new since then? Are you still ________? I was thinking the other day about the time we _________, and I started laughing really hard. That was awesome. Well, next time I see you we'll have to __________. I love how you always _________. Have a nice fabulous day! YOU are the best!

Love, Emily
p.s. Don't hate me - I am ridiculous, but sincere.

When I found this email I thought, "Oh my goodness I am a nutty girl." But I then noticed several people emailed me back, some even filling in the blanks with hilarious results! So, if your life/the holidays has you too busy to properly stay in touch, feel free to send this out. You could even fill it out now, it would definitely count as a deep conversation between us.

Oh, and my reference to lemon pudding was because this was only 4 months after I got my face burned half-off by some of it. You know, just in case that was the strangest part of that email for you.

3 comments:

DP said...

I took that one step further on my mission one time, when I was working in the office and had recently discovered Mail Merge. I actually wrote a letter like that, except I created merge fields for the blanks, and then I actually built a spreadsheet and filled in the information for each person. And then I printed them off and sent them as though they were personalized letters.

My savvy friends caught on, though.

P.S. Don't worry, it was on preparation day.

This Idaho Girl said...

I remember receiving one of these emails. I have to say it's much better than the bragging form letter.

sarahflib said...

You're a genius, Em. Absolutely love it. I filled out my half of the form so you'll know what our conversation was about.
---------------
Wow, I haven't seen you since KRISTEN'S CHOIR CONCERT LAST WEEK! What's new since then? Are you still PREGNANT? I was thinking the other day about the time we LIT CORNFLAKES ON FIRE AND LEFT THEM ON DP'S DOORSTEP, and I started laughing really hard. That was awesome. Well, next time I see you we'll have to TRY OUT MY NEW POGO STICK. Have a nice fabulous day! YOU are the best!