Monday, April 20, 2009

Guess Who's Back?

Gary, that's who! After months of LONG working hours, the legislative session is over. Our kids went for days at a time without seeing their dad, and he went for days at a time on only a couple of hours of sleep. He even slept (for an hour or two) in his office once, but said being awakened by the janitor was awkward, so he came home, even for short stints, after that. At one point Gary left this note for me, and I kept it hanging on the fridge for the rest of the time, just to keep myself convinced. Funny thing at this point is . . . I started this post a month ago! Now we've had him back to normal for a bit, and we love it. Or is it the weather? Both! The day after the session ended we took the opportunity to take our kids to the open house of the Draper Utah Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Although we did a lot of waiting, the kids were troopers and Josh made everyone smile as he excitedly pointed out picture after picture of Jesus. We came to a point where we were given a small presentation I was positive Josh was not listening to, but when the guy finished talking, Josh told us exactly where we had been told to go for cookies, so maybe he heard just a little bit of something else, too . . .

Although the picture is sunny, it was actually really cold, and this shot was the best we could do. We might not look perfect, but we were really happy to be together and to have this opportunity.
The next weekend Gary cashed in his birthday present - going skiing! Lucky me, he picked me as his ski partner even though the gift specified he could choose anyone. My mom was awesome enough to keep the boys with her while we hit the slopes. Perfect, except for one thing. I haven't been skiing forever, so this was Gary . . .
. . . but this was me.
Yeah, I wasn't the awesomest, but I got tons better as the day went on, which convinced me that we probably need to go again several times. Gary said I "exceeded expectations" (because I set them so low), so I'm feeling pretty good about my skills. We had a great time, it was fun to feel like a dating couple again. I wish we had a cute little picture of us with our rosy cheeks and ski gear, but I am so bad at walking in ski boots the idea of going to get the camera and then put it back caused pain, so I took a mental picture. We look good in it.
So that's us a month ago. Things have been hectic since then, but that's not a bad thing. Don't think I haven't been reading your blog, because I have, just in stalker-fashion from Google Reader. You look great.

8 comments:

sarahflib said...

I love Gary. Exceeding his expectations--ha!

Coordination Queen said...

I like Gary's purple ski wear... :)

Lynja said...

it's always nice when DH comes home. and...you are right, you do look great in your mental picture:)

candcfamily said...

So your big competition with the state legislature is all over and you won!!! Thats got to feel good! I miss your cute little boys!

This Idaho Girl said...

I do love Gary's purple ski outfit. He's such a professional. Glad he finally came home. The Idaho legislature is in a dead lock over money for roads. What a waste of tax payer money. Glad you guys live in Utah.

Elisabeth (and Tyler) said...

I love you, Emily. I can totally hear your voice when I read what you write. I'm sure you were elegant on the slopes, your body doesn't have an awkward bone or muscle in it.. Seriously. I've always been jealous of your skills. Yes, all of them.

Michelle said...

funny, gary looks oddly like Melody does on the slopes. :) you look great, too. how darling of him to choose you to go skiing with him. you sure you didn't bribe him? i think kyle would choose to ski with my dad. they both like to go super fast.

gary's note is hilariously cute. I am so glad you have come back to the blogging world. I have missed your posts dearly. that last one was a good one though. it kept me going.

Rachel said...

YAY! Glad Gary's been back for a month. I was confused reading this at first thinking "I thought he was supposed to finish a long time ago..."