Thursday, April 30, 2009

Heads Up 7 Up, Anyone?

Right at this moment kids are watching mindless videos and playing heads-up 7-Up at school instead of learning. They are being put in unsafe situations that are later reported on the news. Their teachers are teaching with fevers of 102 and laryngitis and turning down professional development opportunities because they are afraid of what will happen while they're gone. Why? Lack of qualified substitute teachers. Now, please don't think I'm saying they're all bad. There are some fantastic ones, bless them!!! However, they are usually booked far in advance, and the last minute sick-teacher ends up with someone who leaves kindergartners alone so they can run into the road. So now, imagine that a certified teacher with a current license and 3 years of classroom experience applies to be a substitute, what do you think would happen? When I was a teacher I would have said, "Bless your existence! I'm booking you for my entire career!" Well, I am a currently licensed teacher with 3 years of experience who recently applied for the substitute job, and I will tell you exactly what happened.

Two months ago I made the 20+ minute journey to the district office in the snow, with two small children in tow. I turned in my substitute application, but could not talk to the person in charge of hiring because she was out of the office. However, I did watch the application be placed in a basket with her (I'll call her "G") name on it. I was told she makes calls every now and then for interviews, so to wait for that.

I waited a month and a half, and decided to call and follow up. Should have called sooner, but I was occupied with stuff and didn't want to bother them. I actually talked to G this time. She got my name and phone number, and said she'd look up my application and call me back. I personally thought she could have just put me on hold, but okay, whatever. I waited a week for her to "look up my application," but never did she call. So I called her again. She said, "Oh, yes, I have looked all over and couldn't find that application, could you fill out another one and fax it to me? I actually just did a bunch of sub interviews yesterday, but I think I could get you set up by the end of the year." Um, why didn't she tell me BEFORE the interviews that I needed to fill out a new application, especially since I told her I'd dropped it off March 3rd?!

G promised that as soon as I faxed her the new application she'd call me back. Okay, I was willing, and really fine with everything up to this point. I faxed that application within two hours, and a couple hours after that received a phone call that went exactly like this:

G: I wanted to let you know I received your application, but just now had time to call, but I did receive it. (Voice sounds like the conversation is over.)
Me: Okay, so what do I need to do?
G: Um, do you have your fingerprints?
Me: I don't know if you noticed on the application, but I have a current license on file with the state. (Everyone with a current license has fingerprints on file.)
G: Yeah, I notice you're a teacher, but I have to check in CACTUS (the database for stuff like that) and see if they have your fingerprints still.
Me: Do they destroy those?
G: Well, I don't know, but if they're not there then you'd have to come in here and get them done, so I have to check. (Voice sounds like she is trying really hard to get off the phone.)
Me: So . . .
G: I'll call you sometime and let you know what we need. (Voice says, "Bye, now.")
Me: (Trying hard to keep her on the phone to give me a definite directive) Well, yeah, I can do anything whenever you need.
G: Ok (Real short, real trying-to-end-the-conversation)
Me: I'm available for interviews any time.
G: Ok, bye.

And that's it, folks. To be fair, G is probably overworked and underpaid, but wow. Remember when I was on the Doug Wright show addressing the substitute teacher topic . . . is my experience isolated, or are there qualified people all over the place getting the brush? Maybe they'll call me on Monday, and this rant is useless, but it has been 2 months . . .

12 comments:

DP said...

This makes no sense. And I do not like the "Bye Now" voice.

Kacey said...

that's ridiculous. they should be jumping for joy that an actual trained teacher wants to sub for them!

Janiebelle007 said...

Too bad there is not some way around her. Maybe introducing yourself to principals would be of benefit. And overwork is no excuse. When someone wants a job they should be willing to do it. Stupidity is never an excuse. However, it often applies!

Michelle said...

this makes me so frustrated! It really makes me wonder if there aren't more qualified (over qualified even!) subs that get the run around just like you simply because the paper pushers don't want to push any more paper. AHHHHHHH.

You should call Doug Wright and tell him about this.

Seriously.

Anna said...

beyond ridiculous, because you'd be the best sub ever.

Syphus Circus said...

ARGH! ARGH! ARGH! I get SO ticked off by that kind of attitude, and even more frustrated by the "unfairness" of it all. Ethan actually had a parent substitute his class for 2 1/2 weeks, while his teacher had surgery. She did a better job in those 2 1/2 weeks than his actual teacher had done in 2 1/2 months! It only took 2 1/2days to undo all of the good...

Maybe I'll call your district and give someone my two-cents. Yeah right, like that'd do a bit of good!

She just lost the best sub ever!

Kris and Q said...

Sorry to hear that lady was not very nice. I would love for my kids to have you for a sub.

r & k said...

that's funny you bring the whole sub thing up . . . just last week i was wondering what the screening process was for subs - #1's had some, err, uh . . "interesting" ones :)

the last few times she has had one - she gets "sick" and the office sends her home where she miraculously recovers as soon as she sees her polly pockets :)

p.s. I would pay YOU to sub her class :) curse the bureaucracy! :)

Stacey said...

Wow. That is really, really sad. They have NO idea what they are missing out on... And BTW, I do miss word verification :) I've seen some good ones recently!

This Idaho Girl said...

I think G needs to find another job. Why is it that most school administrative assistants are either flightly or ornery? Sorry for your headache. I think it's ambitious of you to substitute. I couldn't do it. Not for what they're paying.

Nate and Brooke said...

Well if that lady knew how much you have dedicated you life to education, she would feel really stupid and embarissed!!! I never met anyone who had so much passion. I was always trying to learn as much as I could from you.
You were an amazing teacher!!!

EmJay said...

Oh my. I'm impressed with your ability to remain calm in these situations. I would have probably slipped and said something I would have regretted later. Keep us posted!