Wednesday, June 10, 2009

One Year of Noah

Dear Noah,

I worry that you might struggle a little with being a big brother so young. I know that you won't remember being the baby, and hopefully you and your new brother will grow up being great friends, like I was with my sister, but still . . . I want you to know that you're not just one of a crowd of kids or a bunch of babies, you are my one and only Noah. Maybe someday if you struggle I'll be able to pull out this blog entry, and you'll know my sincere feelings around the time you turned one.

Although your first year has passed by very quickly, I feel like you've been a part of our family for a long time. I remember the first time the doctor laid you on my chest, I looked at you and gasped because you were so beautiful. You were nearly clean (thanks to being overdue), and you had wavy dark hair and big brown eyes . . . I just stroked your head and cheeks in wonder. That night I was trying to sleep, I mean, I should have been tired, getting you here wasn't exactly easy, but I couldn't really sleep. All I could think was, "I have a really cute baby, and I can't wait to see him."

I tried to get the perfect photo of you those first few weeks, but my camera wasn't fancy enough to snap one before you made a funny face. I love the funny face photos, but trust me, your preciousness in person was over the top. Now, I still love your big eyes and your brown hair . . . which is usually all over the place because you style it with food at every meal. I love your giggle, your snuggly hugs (especially when you pat me on the back), and your cheeks. Oh, man, I love those cheeks, I just kiss and kiss them. It's actually bringing tears to my eyes thinking about you growing up and not having those cheeks and that snuggle.

When I thought about having a new baby, one of the reasons why it sounded good is because you have been such a great baby. When I watch you and Josh playing together or with your dad, how can I help but think babies are great?

Oh, Noah, I really love you. I might have other babies, but I'll never have another baby Noah.

Love,
Mom

So, yes . . . my baby had a birthday a couple of weeks ago! I hope you can excuse that I chose to write that here instead of my journal, but this is where it ended up. Hope it doesn't sound like my baby is superior, but he is my baby. My prayer would be that every baby could have a mommy that feels this way about him or her, if not in all of those exact words. Anyway, we did have birthday festivities, and I have no brilliant segues, so here is some of Noah's recent life.

Noah got his first haircut at the beginning of May. Doesn't he look excited to get a new look? (Yes, Gary's the barber around here, and I think we did this pretty early in the morning.)
Noah loves playing with hats all of the sudden.
For his birthday, we celebrated hard at Chuck E. Cheese. Normally we wouldn't have a one-year-old's party there, but my niece was having a birthday at the same time, and my family had another event in the area anyway, so . . . lucky everyone! Noah is cheap there, because he loves the cars, etc. whether or not there's a token making it go. Here he is with his cousin Braden, just delighted to be sitting on the ride.

Noah and I took a little safari together and Gary captured this face . . . "Why is all of the attention suddenly on me?" He wondered. But once the song is over, it didn't take Noah long to find the "business end" of the candle. (Quote by my dad.)
There was no question how he felt about eating the cake . . .

(Two side notes: Why don't I have an adorable photo of both children with their cakes, which were actually on the same table as the song was sung? I don't know, crazy night, wish I did. Sophie looked cute and 2, though. Also, I thought I would save time by buying canned frosting instead of making colored frosting and putting it in the bag to pipe words on the cakes. Big mistake . . . the frosting comes out of those cans at 120 miles per hour, and is impossible to control. So it looks ghetto, but the toys on top were all Noah and Sophie cared about, so whatever.)



Present time . . . he loves this car from grandma. I'm pretty sure his initial reaction of sucking on this shirt meant he loved it, too.

Our visit to the doctor revealed that he's still tall, but not as chubby as you think. He's 31 inches tall, 90th percentile, and 23 lbs. 6 oz., 50th percentile. Another scale said he's 24 lbs, 6 oz., but when I weigh myself I always go with the lowest number, so I guess I can do that for my son.

He also has become quite talkative lately. He loves talking on the phone, whether it's a real phone and a real person, or a calculator, a remote, a spoon, some goggles . . . usually it's a bunch of, "Be, ba, ba, be? Ba da bee de!" However, lately he's been trying to say other things. Adding to his "mom,mom", "dad,dad," and "uh, oh" are "dog," "ball," "night,night," "thank you," and "Jo" (Josh). No, none of them are perfect, but it's fun to see him try new things out. Also, once he said, "bath" as clear as day, but Gary and I think he must have gotten lucky.

He's really got a little personality, loving to dance, clap, listen to music, play games like peek-a-boo and tickle, torment Josh by running around with his binky, color with sidewalk chalk in between bites . . . all the good kid stuff. This is a really long post, but turning one deserves it. How often does one go from totally helpless to full of fun in one year? Love you, Noah!

11 comments:

Janiebelle007 said...

I guess it doesn't matter if he keeps the cheeks forever because when he is 21 you'll feel stupid kissing them the same. And those cheeks are definitely kissable. He is adorable and I loved swimming with him on Saturday. HE was having a ball.

Rachel said...

I love this post a lot, but the highlight might be that picture of Gary pre-hair cut...and then your comment that it probably happened early in the morning!!

This Idaho Girl said...

The great thing about making a ghetto cake is that the kids don't care. It ends up looking like a bomb hit it anyway. He's such a cutie. It will be interesting to see what #3 looks like.

Krista said...

i love this post. :) a lot.

sarahflib said...

Ahh! I love your baby Noah, too. He is so adorable and sweet. I don't remember being the baby in the family, either, and I was three when Katie was born. I remember her joining the fam, but I seriously don't remember being the youngest before that. So, if I didn't remember it at three, most kids probably won't remember it whether the next baby comes when they're three, two, or even seventeen months. Noah will just be glad to have a pal.

Anna said...

When i think of Noah I think of his cheeks and those big brown eyes. Such a cute baby. Love him!

Coordination Queen said...

I think Sarah hit the nail on the head... you don't ever remember being the baby. You just remember being excited about having new friend to play with. He is such a cutie!

Michelle said...

i remember being the baby. But I was five and I didn't consider myself the "baby" at all. I was just the younger one that my older siblings didn't want to play with. My dad was adamant that we take family photos before my little sister was born so he could always remember when I was his baby. He still tears up when we talk about it.

I was just excited to have a little sister. I didn't feel like I was losing my place. It sounds like it's the parents who struggle the most with the transition. We are so used to how we view our children, the role they play in the family.

He's a sweet, sweet boy and oh what a sweet, sweet post in honor of him.

Loved your ghetto cake, which does not look ghetto by the way.

Renae said...

It just goes too fast doesn't it! Clayton turns one in two weeks... Ack! Where did my newborn go?

Liz said...

Ahh Noah, What a boy! Kelty still wants one :). What a great post!

candcfamily said...

I love those cheeks!