We went to my parents' house for Thanksgiving, and during that time he awkwardly fell on the foot twice, and was a basket case each time. So sad, because he was really trying to be brave, but would whimper, "Foot, my foot, owies," every time he'd try to put weight on in. My heart nearly broke this morning when he hurt it again and was trying so hard to let me rock him to sleep, but couldn't. He looked up at me with his big brown eyes and sniffled, "Owie, mommy, owie," like he really wanted me to take away the pain.
So, my mom called my dad (who is a doctor), who happened to be at the hospital, and said the x-ray tech was there and if we ran up there quickly we could get another x-ray. We figured it was worth a try, so we went. Poor kid was so used to the x-ray equipment he was happy to be there. (The first time he screamed and fought.) Turns out, his leg (tibia) is broken, about an inch above his ankle. No wonder he's okay when you mess with his foot but not okay if you grab his ankles to change his diaper! My dad said that he can see why it didn't show up a few days ago. I guess fractures like that don't show up until they start to heal. So, he got this sweet blue cast (Dad was thinking "Go Cougars" when he picked it). Noah wanted the cast off when it first got finished, but he was happy when it was being put on, and it supposedly makes it feel a whole lot better. We got him all casted up just in time to go to church for his first day of nursery, which he loved regardless of his cast.
Yeah, ha, ha, but that's okay. Yes, we have two kids that don't walk now, and yes, one of them is very heavy, but hey, nothing too bad, we can't complain. Although as a post note it is funny to think that the day Noah broke his leg was my most on the ball day since Andrew was born. I had the house decently clean, dinner ready the second Gary got home, and family home evening all planned out. I was getting back in to the swing of things, but then FHE turned into urgent care for Noah and Gary, while Josh and I drank hot chocolate and watched Star Wars. Had to make up for the fact Noah got to go somewhere and he didn't. Then with Noah injured, things went back to nuts. That's okay, though, I may have been in danger of getting bored, and it isn't about me, it about Noah, and his big accomplishment as the first one to break a bone. He might think that makes him cool much later in life.
12 comments:
Poor baby! I hate it when my kids get hurt! You just can't bubble wrap the world though.
What a relief to find out what's wrong. Interesting that it was discovered at the Preston Hospital! I think a true BYU fan would start working on some cougar graffiti for that cast.
Your dad has come in handy several times for us. Noah seems to have taken in all in stride. I just hope the Mom is doing okay.
Oh, poor guy! Good luck in the healing process! That sounds rough...ironic that it happened on your most put together day :) It just goes to show you can't avoid all accidents no matter how put together you have it! You are a wonderful Mother and example :)
I hope it's waterproof!
How sad! Poor little guy! And poor you too. That's probably not very fun to deal with right now. I hope that things calm down for you pretty soon.
Yeah, poor Noah AND poor Mommy! I think that is hysterical that it happened on your most together day after the baby... Does that give you an excuse now to NOT have dinner ready and the house clean?
Poor kiddo. I think casts on little kids are so cute... not the broken bone part, but just the little cast. I think I should stop while I'm ahead.
Oh poor little guy!! Yay for nursery!! That is one milestone that I look forward to as soon as they become mobile.. haha
Well, It's certainly good he did break his leg. We don't want things getting to calm around your house. Totally Boring!
erin kills me... Gosh, Emily. You are the most calm mother ever. You have so much on your plate and not once do you complain. I'm so glad I know you!
Poor little guy. Just makes me want to hold him. ANd what the heck, he talks. Brody must be super delayed because there is no way he goes beyond 'bubba baff' (bubble bath) in the language dept.
I think that is so sweet that he lets you know he has 'owies'. Let me know if I can do anything, like take Josh for awhile or make a meal.
The saddest thing to me was seeing Noah crawling around (before the cast) asking for his daddy. I'm glad the problem ended up being a relatively simple broken bone. Go Dr. G.
Post a Comment