Guy Who Called While I Was Cooking Dinner: Hi, I'm from BYU-Idaho, and I'd like to discuss your experiences with us and what you can do to help out some of the things we're doing up here.
Me: (While stirring two different skillets on the stove) Okay. (He sounded nice, so I thought I'd be gentle.)
Noah: Food, mommy, food, mommy, mommy, mommy, (While screaming loudly and pathetically) . . .
Guy: So first of all, did you graduate from Ricks?
Noah: Screams! Neediness!
Me: No, I actually never went to school up there at all, it was my husband that did.
Andrew: Waaaaaaaah! (Sounds much further away then he should, given that he was just barely sitting on the couch with Josh.)
Guy: Okay, well what we're doing -
Me: Just a second, sorry. (Covers the phone) Joshua! Where is Andrew? (Runs upstairs trying to find baby. Sees him on Josh's bed with a burp rag over his face, screaming away. Picks up baby.) Still Me: Josh, why did you put him here? (Keep in mind, Josh carries Andrew around kind of by the neck, and he had to have carried him all the way up the stairs for this.)
Josh: It's my bed, he likes my bed.
Me: (Remembers the phone) I'm sorry, go ahead.
Guy: It sounds like you've got a lot going on right now, I can call back later.
Me: Okay, have a great night!
So, that's how you do it folks. I'm not saying it's easy to replicate yourself, but it was so effective. (BTW - I'm all for donating money to education. It's just awkward to explain to a guy on the phone that my 3 year old doesn't want a receipt saying someone else is going to college in his Christmas stocking.)
13 comments:
Ha ha!!! At least he had the good sense to let you off of the phone. I told Columbia house that I had cancer so I couldn't buy their cds. Then they said oh, that's ok you have two years to buy the other 12 cds. So then I told them I only had six months to live.
My experience with the University Donation people is that they ALWAYS call during dinner prep time. You handled it like a pro.
I just always tell Texas Tech to call back and talk to my husband. He's always gone anyway. So I tell them the same thing the next time. If he's ever home, I put him on. Serves him right. And while Emily handled it like a pro, I LOVE Katie's response. She also told someone once that her husband would kill her, literally. They, too, hung up!
So, I just don't answer. I've had BYU, BYU-I and the Aggie fund calling. I always tell the Utah State people: "I am supporting your university right now with students. That is all the scholarship I can provide right now." They do find very pleasant students to call; you've got to give them that.
i love it!
Next time a telemarketer calls when one or more children are screaming, I am TOTALLY going to answer and see how long I can keep them on the line! Sounds like a fun game to play :)
Katie, why didn't you pick something more believable, like Sands of the Sahara or West Nile?
I can always count on you for a genuine story and a good laugh too :) Thanks.
ahh the chaos of 3 little people. :)
I really can't wait to meet Andrew, we need to get together.
WE have had a few of these calls!! Three really sent me over the edge!! THey are fun but oh there is really something to not having enough hands!!
Katie, that is classic!
Emily, you're my hero. Usually I just say something about still paying off student loans and tell them it will be many years... You were nice, made dinner and rescued children all at one time.
HERO!
Good to know! I'm such a sucker. I know what they're doing. BRT. And yet I can't help but gushing "oh my ward and my classes..." You want money? Grr. Like I didn't know that was coming!
Post a Comment