Thursday, December 10, 2009

Melody's Hula Class

Once upon a time ten years ago there was a girl named Melody who went to BYU-Hawaii and took a hula class. Her teacher told the class that part of hula was using your eyes and facial expressions, and that to get full points the students would need to use them, too. Melody and her friend watched the other students in the class, and saw this one girl who apparently took the advice to heart. Not only did she really get into the hula, but she had all sorts of facial expressions as well. Melody and her friend would chuckle and say, "Wow, she must really want an A."

As so many good heroines do, Melody ended up in Provo, where she had a pretty decent winter semester despite not being in Hawaii. When the semester was over, she found out she was getting a new roommate for the spring. When the day came Melody emerged from her room to greet the new girl . . . and it was the crazy hula-class girl!! Melody and the girl had a fun time being roommates, even though they ended up having to do their hula at the ward luau. (Most likely the roommate's fault, but the menfolk told Melody she did a good job.)

The roommate grew up to have three little boys, one of which she was driving to preschool this morning while listening to a Hawaiian CD given to her by her sister-in-law. She heard the hula song she'd once danced to, and thought, "I wonder if I've still got what it takes?", then laughed and laughed the whole way home.

7 comments:

Paul and Katie said...

Oh dear Emily, I am sure that you still have it in you. Facial expressions and all!

Tiffany said...

That sounds like TONS of fun!!

sarahflib said...

Oh, I love it. The thing is, I know you're the kind of girl who didn't just want an A--you've got dancing in your blood, even the hula.

Also, my favorite line has to be "As so many good heroines do, Melody ended up in Provo."

Hannah said...

feel free to borrow my hula skirt anytime!

Coordination Queen said...

can we see a picture of those facial expressions? :)

Michelle said...

LOVED THIS!!!! thanks for the hysterical laugh. Girl, you still got it. No one can take your moves or your facial expressions away. Not only does Melody think of you when she hears the hawaiian music, but also when she hears N'sync and the Backstreet Boys. You're such a renaissance girl!

EmJay said...

I am coming out of the closet here by posting on your hilarious commentary of years past. I am so glad the two of us became roommates. That year at BYU was so much fun - because of you. I was only sorry you didn't mention cinnamon buns, road rules, almost giving a talk for me after a nasty break-up, Back Street Boys, Lagoon... thanks for the memories. I lilihue nohonanimae. (I know that was so off, but it is all I could remember from that awesome class :)