Monday, January 25, 2010

Acknowledging Tragedy

Eleven years ago I was an English teacher in Taiwan. I lived with a woman named A-e, and her 9 year old girl Sherry (or Yi-jun). Someday I'd like to write all about them, because they were great. A couple of months after we parted ways there was a terrible earthquake in Taiwan and the apartment building they lived in toppled to the ground. They were killed and it was really hard on me. I remember watching the news of the devastation in Taiwan and thinking how awful it was that everyone around me just went about their daily lives worrying about clothes and parties while so many people in Taiwan (and I) were suffering.

Now there is terrible devastation in Haiti. Part of me wants to ignore it, because it makes me feel sad and helpless. Another part of me thinks I've got to do something more than a one second thought and some meager funds. I've thought, "I've got so much, and so much of it's not even necessary for life. I could go without makeup for a while to help them . . ." Then I realized that would be a 2 dollar donation anyway, but you get the train of thought.

So what is my point? I'm not exactly sure. The point is that it's an issue I wrestle with at various times in life, and right now I have some thoughts. I've been really busy lately, and barely had time to touch the computer. I'm really determined to preserve our little family history, so there are tons of posts I want to post, but for some reason I felt bad barrelling on without acknowledging that people are suffering. The thing is, people are always suffering, and it could really be a depressing existence to dwell on it. I don't think we're supposed to. We are commanded to be of good cheer. (I love John 16:33.) I think we're supposed to help as much as we can with prayers and other resources we may be blessed with, but then we have to let it go and realize all that is good and beautiful in life. These things serve as my little reality checks, to keep me grateful and not shallow (a tough job). When I get to wishing for outfits that make me feel snazzy and money for vacations, I can check myself. I can look at all of the clothes in my drawers and realize I will not be cold or naked. I can fix dinner and be grateful to be full. I can kiss my babies and my husband and realize what a miracle all four of them are. I can read the scriptures and realize the point of my existence.

So, I went to lds.org to get a link to the aforementioned scripture, when I saw that the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has made an official statement on the Haiti situation. You can read it here. I'll add that to my thoughts. I can't conclude my thoughts for now, because as I said before, I wrestle with these kinds of things from time to time. Still wrestling.

5 comments:

Ali said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts...I can relate to many of them, and also I think you are so great to be so empathetic. Did you ever read (or see) "The Secret Life of Bees"? Sometimes I feel like the character May and I just feel the weight of the world for all of the sadness in it. I think the blogging/facebook era has made it so easy to be aware of what everyone struggles with as well and so you know of every hurt, every pain, every trial and it's hard not to focus on it and there is so much pain. But I think like you said, we can't dwell on it. One thing that's helped me not dwell on it is thinking about how in my own situation with Evan's surgeries, as tough as it looks on the outside, no one truly will understand what kind of strength I am given or what kind of blessings I am recieving to help get me through it. It's those personal blessings of strength and ways to cope that get a person through such hard times and those are hard to share with everyone. (am I making sense?) anyway, it helps me to think to not dwell on other's struggles but to instead pray the Lord gives them strength and ways to cope as he has me at times. But I also agree, it's hard to find ways to help and be empathetic to- it's hard to find a balance! (sorry this is so long...I hope it makes some sense) :)

Janiebelle007 said...

I agree with you both. And I still believe that the Lord put A-E on this earth to be my friend and awaken me to a world I would never have known. To understand the meaning of "speaking in tongues" and the power of love and friendship is a gift that I have received and I will never forget the sweet woman who taught me those things. Thanks for reminding me Em.

Anonymous said...

We now live in an area full of prosperity. Amidst it all, is our little family - trying to own up to some poor financial decisions in the past that have been exacerbated by crappy economic conditions. In short, money is tight. Last week I walked past some 5th graders collecting donations for Hati. I had three dollars in my pocket that were not allocated elsewhere. I felt a strong urge in my heart that I wanted to give but $3 seemed lame. Later, that week I checked out the church website, too. I again felt the urge to give. As a family we discussed it. "We have sufficient for our needs and there are primary children in Hati that had no cereal this morning." was the gist of the lesson. We decided we could take $20 from the grocery budget and we sealed up our $23 bucks for Hati. We prayed hard for them and for ourselves. Weather you pray, give a couple bucks or write an inspiring post for Hati. It helps ease the hopelessness.

Ash said...

Saw this and it made me feel like I was doing something, even if it's very small.

http://balancingeverything.com/2010/01/25/help-for-haiti/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BalancingEverything+%28Balancing+Everything%29

Renae said...

Wow, I can't imagine. How weird and horrible to have your old home and friends demolished like that. I'd say thank goodness you got out, and I mean that. I'm glad you weren't there, but so many people were. Anyway, you put it well. I'll have to read that article.