You may remember this post about how I've had a theme for each year since 2004. Some of them have changed my life, others not so much. Last year's theme, 2009 - Potty Train Josh's Behin', might seem shortsighted, but it was worth it. I got 8 months of only one child in diapers, oh, yeah! You may be thinking I have abandoned themes this year, but actually, I have only delayed in writing about it, as I have delayed most everything else these crazy days (who wants a Christmas card?) (Serious.).
We spent Christmas in St. George, and arrived home in time to watch 20 minutes of Dick Clark's Rockin' Eve with Ryan Seacrest before the ball dropped to bring in 2010. Most of the 20 minutes was spent trying to spit out the show's entire title, but anyway, we saw the Black Eyed Peas sing "Boom Boom Pow," which inspired me as far as rhyming goes. Not only does it have one of my favorite lines I would LOVE to find a reason to use ("I'm so two thousand and eight, you're so two thousand and late"), it also has the line, "We're on that HD flat, this beat goes boom, boom bat." Boom boom bat? Not to demean their cleverness, but isn't that kind of cheap as far as rhyming goes? Couldn't anything be put there, for example, "Could you please pass the salt, this beat goes boom, boom balt." Thus, my first idea was that my yearly theme could be, 2010 - This year goes boom, boom ben.
I decided to pass on that one, and quickly threw out other obvious options like, 2010 - buy a hen, or, 2010 - design a pen. I thought of 2010 - Use diagrams by Venn, but soon realized Venn diagrams will do nothing to organize my house, so the theme wouldn't meet my biggest needs. Although, I probably should do some of those with Josh. I then realized I have been pregnant for at least a portion of each of the last 5 years, so I thought a fitting theme might be, 2010 - I'm not pregnant in 2010. Other considerations - "snuggle my Ken," "listen to music by Len," "for currency use yen," or, "be a good frien'."
A lot of those are good, but I wanted one for this year that I could really reach for, like 2005-Husbands Arrive. So, I have settled on, 2010 - Enjoy my children before they are men. I need to make a sign, print it out, and tape it to my closet, just like when all of this started in 2004. These little boys are awesome. I can't say enough how much I love and enjoy each of them and their unique personalities. However, it does get pretty crazy, especially around the time when Gary's life has to be work instead of us. Especially around the time Noah starts opening doors and jumping out of his crib, and Josh and Noah realize they can climb on the counters and destroy together. I get very tired and start wishing for spring, or older children, or something else . . . but I don't want to live that way. In the spring Andrew will be that much closer to kid and farther away from new baby. I'll love it, but I love this, too, and I want to soak it in. Noah may be into everything, but I barely care because he's so darn cute. He requests "Child of God" before he goes to sleep, and it's such a sweet tiny voice. And Josh's 3 year old mind - I love it! (Example: "Mom, if we don't have enough money we can go to the store and buy some. Or just make our own.") I have been so blessed to have wonderful moments even in the crazy sick times, and I want to be able to continually notice and enjoy those. This is a goal to really work for, and work hard cause it's worth it. So, there you have it, the theme for 2010.
11 comments:
I like this theme. Very fitting. Also, I'd love to come visit you one afternoon/evening during the legislative session. I can come cook dinner, hold Andrew while you fold laundry (or fold your laundry), or just give you an adult to talk to. It's been too long since I saw you anyway. I work during the week, so by the time I got to Tooele on a weeknight it would be late. But does Gary work Saturdays too? If so I'd love to come hang with you on a Saturday afternoon/evening until Gary gets home. Let me know. :)
Wow! I love the idea of having a theme for the year! I also LOVE your theme for this year, its too true, they grow up WAY too fast!!
Emily! You are such an inspiration to me. You are what my friend, Karen, calls "Salty". You are real, and truthful, and you make life savory. I love the idea of themes, and the one for this year - wow. I was caught off guard because I often wish for the next age/stage and I forget that I should be enjoying the here and now. Thanks for the reminder!
I like those kids too. And I really really like you. I personally went with Boom Boom Ben 2010...
I need a theme like that. Have you heard Lady Gaga? Queen of awful lyrics, yet these people are famous. I'm wondering why we chose to be mothers instead of performers.
I nearly forgot to tell you that this post made my month.
that is a wonderful theme for 2010. I remember that 2009 that body is mine was one of your options and it kind of became my motto. So maybe I need to tag along once more and add 'enjoy my boys beforethey are men' to my heart. I love that theme and I fond myself wishing for future events a lot instead of enjoying the here and now as well. So thanks again for giving me inspiration to be a better mother and person even long after you stopped being my visiting teacher!
I have been waiting anxiously. Do you want me to cross-stitch it for your wall?
I love the theme! Very true... I was just reading the story of the stripling warriors to Scott and had similar thoughts.
EXCELLENT theme! Sad I didn't get to see you guys--the trip was too short. Next time!
I love it. That is a great theme and a great reminder. I was just mentally berating myself for not teaching my 7 year old (can you believe i have a 7 year old? i can't.) how to sew on her sewing machine that she got for her birthday.
Post a Comment