Did you ever stay in the same room as your radio for hours on end so you'd be there to press record the second that a song you were waiting for came on? I think I filled a couple of tapes worth of that. Back in 8th grade I rotated listening to those and my Joey Lawrence tape. Then when I tried out for the drill team, our try out song was "Mr. Wendell," and I waited forever to get just the perfect recording of it. When my sister tried out two years later, I was able to get her song much more quickly, because it was "Good Vibrations," which so happened to be background music on The Mighty Ducks, which we owned. So, my sister practiced her tryout dance with occasional sounds of clattering hockey equipment.
I was thinking about that yesterday when I was scanning for a song I wanted to hear while driving. I realized that kids these days don't sit poised over cassette tapes - they run to iTunes. Crazy.
(That was going to be the end, but then this morning at church someone read a quote from Elder Uchtdorf that made the whole thought process meaningful. Look here if you want to think deep, or just stop now and chuckle at your youth.)
4 comments:
oh my gosh. i did that ALLL the time. And then after I was lucky enough to be able to record the song I liked, I would press play and pause over and over and jot down the lyrics one line at a time until I had them all written. Then I would listen to the song AGAIN reading the lyrics (so I could memorize them of course!) and then once the lyrics were memorized, I'd make up a routine. So awesome. Now you just go to itunes, lyrics dot com and well....I guess still make up the dance routine. That part can never be substituted now can it? Thanks for the trip down memory lane. :)
Um, yes. All the time.
Umm yes, ALL the time... Oh the days of cassette tapes..
Mr. Wendall. Now I've got that song running through my head. The best time to record was during the weekly top 40. I was the queen of mix tapes. No wonder we are friends.
Post a Comment