Sunday, July 24, 2011

First Time Food Blogger: Green Bean Slushie

Never posted a recipe on here before, but the boys and I felt we were really onto something here, so we took easy-to-follow pictures to aid you in re-creation.
Put a tray of ice and a handful of green beans in your blender.

Add a little sugar and water. Get excited about it.

Blend. According to my help, after that you must also stir.

Look how vibrantly green and refreshing it turns out!

Enjoy! With a straw or two, of course.

Share with everyone of all ages.

. . . And this may be the result if yours turns out like ours did. Where could we possibly have gone wrong?


You want the true story? Or first the printable recipe?

I told the boys one day that one of the grossest things I ever ate was a green bean slushie. It was presented as a treat to me by my host dad in Taiwan. Certainly I ate things with overall grosser flavor and/or appearance (Goat head anyone? A tray of fried guppies sound scrumptious?), but the texture of that slushie, combined with an overall unappealing flavor, just sent the yuckiness sky high. So of course my boys said, "Let's make a green bean slushie!" My excuse was, "We don't have any ice."

So fast forward a couple of days to a sick day. Nobody was that sick, but we couldn't go anywhere, so Josh suggested we make the green bean slushie - and he had made ice just for the occasion. I was going to say no, but they started chanting, "Green bean slushie! Green bean slushie!" And I thought, "Why not? It will be funny to us, at least." They were laughing the whole time. Ah, sick days . . .

And while we were still in quarrantine mode, I finally busted out the sprinklers in the back yard for the kids. Mean mom, it's July! Wait, cut me some slack. It was too cold for most of June, then we went on a little trip, then did Independence Weekend, so the second week of July it was.

Peanut butter and jelly on the trampoline makes every swim party awesome.

They had a really great sprinkler for the first little while. It shoots up lots of water, and also shoots balls in the air. But I didn't whip out the camera until they switched to this little Elmo. Look how lovely it is here right now . . .

Can you tell by his face what Andrew thought about water shooting all over the place?

Finally it appeared that Elmo was tame enough he could get this close.
So we stayed home, but avoided going nuts. We had a good time . . . just follow our recipe for similar results.

4 comments:

Anna said...

I love that you have kids that chant "green bean slushie!" ha ha. What fun you all have.

Jill Hunt said...

Sorry to say but that slushy looks gross! I love kids!

Liz said...

Yuckity yuck! I don't drink vegetables, especially in slushies.

Katie said...

It is a really pretty color. Discusting