Thursday, July 14, 2011

Party In the USA's Birthday

"So, do you guys know why we celebrate on the fourth of July?"
"Yeah, because it's Party in the USA's birthday!" (That was Josh. He knows a lot.)

I have some adorable pictures of us enjoying the fourth, but for memory's sake I have to state it was kind of a culmination of a fun yet pictureless weekend. Gary and I went on a date Friday night, and the kids stayed up late with the baby-sitter, the next night we watched neighborhood fireworks with friends (holy relaxed laws, batman . . . awesome to watch, though), and on Sunday we got together with Gary's family for a farewell barbeque for two of his brothers. So much fun at all of those things. Yet no sleep for days in a row for the chillins . . . On Monday morn (the fourth), Gary and I woke up and looked at eachother and said, "Do we really want to do this parade thing?" But the kids woke up too, so we threw on some clothes and went. They loved it and I felt patriotic for being there.

Noah and Josh were so excited to get these flags when the parade started. The shaker in Josh's hands is the reason he HAD to go to a parade on the 4th of July. He made it in summer preschool and planned out exactly how he'd shake it when he got to the parade.

Andrew enjoyed the parade from his stroller. He went nuts over the dogs and horses.

Josh loves this picture because it reminds him of when he got squirted by the firemen. Awesome.


Andrew was so excited to get ahold of the flags.
After the parade we went home to eat a yummy breakfast - at around noon. Gary played patriotic music on youtube as he prepared it, so I felt pretty American. (Actually kinda serious. I was singing Proud to Be An American to my kids - with the artist - and I got all choked up. What having kids has done to me, I tell ya.) Then we were all too exhausted to move. I think we slept and went in slow motion all day, until we were invited to eat a slice of patriotic flag cake with friends. That snapped us back in action. Oh, yeah, and there was some drama about nobody can eat cake until they get their hair cut that nearly left Josh at home, but that's not patriotic, so anyway, we dragged ourselves to the fireworks despite our tiredness. Why? We hadn't been in forever, and are used to being with extended family and weren't, um . . . so we went.
Waiting for the fireworks to begin . . . I don't know what Noah was pointing out at the time, but I love it.

The incredible light saber duel.


Gary thinks it's funny that kids all around us had a whole collection of huge glowsticks, and our kids got these. One was free, so we sprung for the other. They were in heaven.

Andrew was feeling a little restrained, so adorable shots were not in the cards.

They may be assaulted by the flash, but I think they're so cute . . .
And the fireworks were awesome! I'm serious when I say I haven't been for years and years. I've seen them from afar, I've seen the new huge ones people do in the neighborhood, but it's nothing like the big show. There's something like laying on a blanket with your four favorite people on a warm summer night seeing incredible colors burst all across the sky that thrills the soul. (Insert contented shimmy.)
The other kids were asleep, so Andrew got to wear Noah's shoes and backpack. He was SO proud and SO adorable. This was also the first day he started saying backpack. Add the hat and the cuteness level was off the charts.
So, to round out the week, we took the family to the racetrack on Saturday. We have a pass for activities that included that, so we figured, why not? We had no expectations, so it was fun for them to be far exceeded. The boys LOVED it, it held their attention for over an hour and a half. When the cars came out for each race we'd each call which one we'd be cheering for. We each won a couple, actually. Josh won often because he refused to choose until someone was actually in the lead. One time the car I chose had a huge lead, and Noah hadn't even chosen one. I said, "Look at my car, it's winning!" He said, "Yeah, but that red one is coming right up." It was not coming right up at all, actually. But then, at the last minute - it won. Wow, Noah.

Oh, and we didn't time dinner so well, so we were happy that they gave out free "metabolic bars" for the boys to eat while watching. Mmmmm.
Just two little boys enjoying their metabolic bars at the races.





So, it turns out to not be easy to capture a photo with a racecar in it. But I got one, have fun finding it. :)

The kids really, really wanted me to take a picture of the "broken car." Didn't get it until it was loaded onto the tow truck, but here it is. For some reason, this whole process was absolutely fascinating. Noah said, "This is not good, not good at all. "

This is how you get a picture of race cars - when they aren't racing.

Andrew thoroughly enjoyed the one and a half metabolic bars he chowed down.
Afterwards we went and ate BBQ - goes well with racing, right? Turns out the metabolic bars may have made the kids a little sick. Oops. Good thing I didn't eat them. :) So, quite the week. Explosives, racecars, BBQ - what's more American? Happy birthday, Party in the USA!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

love! that first picture of Noah crossing his legs is insanely cute. Must see you and your kids again...soon. XOXOX

Hannah said...

your kids make me laugh. love it! yay party in the USA!

Michelle said...

every time i see a picture of andrew i am in complete awe...those legs! those arms! i have never seen anything quite like him before....