Saturday, March 2, 2013

Love Day, Discovering Life in Winter, and Suess-y Stuff

Just now I was checking on some things while Lissy ate a little of Andrew's un-touched dinner. Or so I thought - she was actually eating ranch from the container with a spoon, and smearing it all over the table, chair, floor, and herself. Stay away from the internet, mama! You'd think I'd learn, but I un-learn when I'm alone with kids on Saturday night. Funny girl, at least she enjoyed herself, and was oh, so endearing with white ranchy goo in her long eyelashes.

I wrote an update Wednesday night (3 days ago), and since then, it's been run around to finish up Seuss week stuff at school, run around to get my van to pass inspection (4 different places for a battery tie-down, phew!), and run to Salt Lake Friday night . . . to do some initiatories while Gary played with the kids at the Church museum and get a little Taste of Red Iguana at City Creek. Yeah, that kind of running is awesome. We even got to wait for Gary for 30 minutes at work while he met with a legislator. Lame? Yes, unless you have two boxes of girl scout cookies and a 6 year old attempting to jump the highest snow pile. Oh, yes, and the car stuff was lame, but awesome because we happened to go to Cal Ranch on new baby chick and free popcorn day. I may have been accompanied by 4 homeless children, but they really liked popcorn and chickies. See, lame stuff can be awesome, too, as long as you don't see anyone you know.

Anyway, to the update . . . have to interject that when I wrote "Love Day" it reminded me of when Gary and I were dating but then not dating and he was asked to give a talk at a fireside on Valentines day. He said, "So, I don't really get this love bit." If you know Gary, you will know this was hysterical. And update:

Overheard on Sunday from Noah: This is the best Sunday ever, don't you think so, Josh?
Josh: This is really good, but remember that other Sunday that one time?

Hahaha. Those kids had a BLAST in St. George. Which is where we went over President's Day weekend, and I started to write about it afterward but then didn't because stuff happened. Then tonight I made myself get to it, and here's how it started:

Bleh. I am so tired by the time I can have a chance to write anything, I never want to. It seems too laborious because my brain is crampy, so all I do is waste time. Used to waste it watching Prison Break. One episode a night when Gary got home around 10. Now Gary's not getting home until midnight or 3 a.m., and Prison Break is over. Oh, Prison Break, you've been good to me, getting me this far in the session, thank you for all of your amazing craziness. Sorry, had to say a few last words to my winter friend. Anyway, now I have dishes to do, but it seems like a bit much to ask, right? This is not a pity party, but it turns out Gary is my energy. Or maybe having an on-going sinus infection and waking up early to pick up, unload, and serve over 1,000 doughnuts this morning for Sunrise with Seuss at Josh's school may contribute to mojo loss? At any rate, life is good. It is, indeed, Dr. Seuss week, which I am heading up for the PTA. The tasks aren't that big of a deal, but you know life. Silly things, like drawing a Cat in the Hat to hang in the hall may end up taking most of the day and leave you with shards of red and white paper all over your entire house and your baby rubbing yellow glue stick all over her legs while you try to throw together a late dinner. I mean, theoretically.

Speaking of theoretical babies, I don't really have one. Lissy is a toddler! She climbs on the table and pours milk to splash in, climbs on the toilet to play with toothbrushes, and has amazing dancing skills. Seriously, there is not a cuter toddler dance anywhere. She used to just twirl in circles and flap her arms, but now her arms and head have a groove to them. Sooo cute. Her last four teeth are almost there, and she's in a better mood for the most part. She was very sad and clingy last week when she had the mucus and coughing virus, but it is very nice to have ear infections off the table. When we were in St. George her grandma kinda liked her, and so did Gary's Uncle Stan. She very much enjoyed people playing with her. Anybody she can convince to wrap her dollies in blankets over and over is a good friend.

Back to Noah's original comment, we kind of did have the best week ever a few weeks ago. On the day before Valentines Day (which was a bad day last year), I got Josh out of school at lunch time, and went to the capitol to eat lunch with Gary. Can't believe we've never done that before, but we stole the idea from Gary's mom and sister. It was amazing to actually see dad (the kids will see him Sunday night then not again until Friday night), the food was good, and Gary showed us a few things in the capitol afterward. The kids might not have understood totally, but the place is pretty impressive. After the big dad lunch, we went to the Salt Lake library, and the kids were in awe. Oh, that we lived near something like that! After that, Winco and Target, and I was just happy, happy. What a fun day with the kiddos! Also, I found deliriously cheap diapers, so I felt like 30 bucks fell from the sky, which is also a good feeling.

You thought that was good? Well, guess what. Gary got a babysitter for Valentines day, and we went out. Woo-hoo! That never happens because of the session, but somehow it did this year. Almost didn't make it due to some freakish yet fleeting illness of Noah's, but fate wanted me and Gary on a date. We ate Indian food and told stories about high school that now seem so dumb it's funny. Then Gary made me go to Loft to exchange a sweater I got for Christmas that didn't fit, and happily, there were a few cute 10 dollar things there. Yeah, Gary!! Oh, yes, and the kids also did the Valentines Day thing. It was so cute and amusing to me. They were so excited for the day they woke up at 6. They did have some sweet Valentines to give . . . I did contribute to the love and made crepes for breakfast and provided Gary with many a delicious Valentine snack. Also a little something for the kids.

THEN, as if the week weren't already good, we went to St. George, as previously mentioned. Guess what - there is life down there. Sunshine, warmth, no air pollution, someone to talk to who is above the age of 6 . . . Gary's mom was an amazing hostess. She talked to and loved and played with all of us. The kids were outside most of the time. Josh forced us to play one on one football with him in the backyard, and it was awkward, but awesome. We hit up a few different parks, and Josh took on Deanne in some one on one b-ball (wearing his jersey, of course), while I felt joy in realizing - I had energy! I was pushing swings and liking it! Going down slides with a toddler and not wanting to quit. Hallelujah and zippidee-do-dah! Sure hope they want us back sometime, because that trip was just what the doctor ordered. The doctor maybe being me? You should have seen Andrew zipping around on that playground equipment. He literally appeared to have been unleashed. 

Anyhow, then back home, full swing of having kids over and getting ready for Seuss week. And here we are, Seuss week it is. Besides not buying napkins for the doughnuts, I don't think I've done anything really dumb yet, besides spend a lot of time on the ghetto-est Seuss decoration there could be. Ah, well, it's all just for fun. Today was wacky Wednesday, and Josh helped us start out right by putting a shoe on the wall. That kid is funny.

Today was sunny, and that's good - Noah and Andrew played in the back yard, whacking at ice, picking up rocks, and climbing on the climber. It's amazing what a few degrees will do. Two anecdotes before I sign off.

We had a pomelo on our counter for a few weeks. Finally I decided it looked like it was on its way out, and said, "I'm going to cut this open and see what it's like." Noah huddled up all nervously as he watched me cut into it. "Oh, please let it be delicious!" he said. Don't worry, it was.

Old story, but I just got reminded. Josh wanted to play Catchphrase with me a while back, but he didn't know what a lot of the phrases were. Finally he got to one that made his face light up. "You put this on my sandwich today!" "Ham!" I said. "No, it's from animals," he replied. "A pig?" Nope. Pork? Lunch meat? No, no. After many guess, the buzzer rang. "What was it, Josh?" I asked. He replied, "Dead meat."

Okay, I have the energy to do the dishes now. Sayonara.

No comments: