I was reminded I need to post all of the updates I was sending my family for the last many months, and when I opened this page (to which I'd already loaded the pictures), I thought it must be wrong. Couldn't be pictures from after Lissy's accident, it was gorgeous and sunny and the kids put on swim suits! Oh yes, it was, all part of the fuzz-brain that is the last part of last year. Hopefully someday I'll write more about (both) times Lissy was in the hospital, but for now, here's from the week after she got home from the hospital in September (two weeks after the accident):
Such a long week, and yet it flew by. Every day got a little bit better. On Monday Lissy was a full-time job almost for 2 adults, but now, I can manage her on my own, and even do stuff like throw away the occasional trash or eat my lunch. She cried to be held almost constantly on Monday, but now she can sit on the floor and do a puzzle for a few minutes or sit in her high chair and eat a handful of blueberries. Progress! She still requires constant attention, but is happier more of the time.
So, yes, even with Mom there, neither one of us got a shower until almost 2 on Monday! Poor Lissy was in a lot of pain then, continuing through Wednesday when her oxycodone ran out. She would get in a lot of pain, then just lie in my arms and stare into space with a cool rag on her forehead. On Wednesday morning, I knew she only had one more dose, and then she wouldn't have any medicine for the dose she would need at 4, so I called the pharmacy at Primary's first thing in the morning. The pharmacist told me to get ahold of the doctor we'd seen there, so I called the trauma nurse practitioners (as per discharge instructions), and left a message. They didn't get back to me until 1:15, and then told me it's a law that you have to be seen in person in order to get a prescription. Woulda been nice if anyone had told me that before! So, I called the pediatrician's office, and they told me they were full and she could walk in at 5. By that point, I'd had it, and I busted out with, "This little girl has been run over by a van, I've been working on this all day, and she is due for the medicine at 4!" He fit me in at 3. Lissy threw up all over the place while we were waiting for the doctor, so I was wet and she was naked as I carried her out like a baby. Had to laugh at what those in the lobby might have been thinking. After driving from Tooele to Stansbury (no oxy for kids), then back to Tooele, I got a drive-through pharmacy to get us the meds - at exactly 4! I just thought it was quite the adventure.
Having Mom here was the best. She is the best. We loved chatting with her, and couldn't have done it without her.
Jamie read to Lissy on Wednesday so I could shower, Mamie read to her on Thursday so I could clean the bathroom, and Kami came on Thursday and greatly eased the transition when mom left. Julie helped out Friday morning, and helped me find the library books that I had no renewals left on, then she brought them back. A guy came over and just mowed our lawn one day. We feel so blessed!!!
The Relief Society had a little support group thing on Tuesday for those who were witnesses to Lissy's accident. We had brunch and chatted, and it was so good for us. Seems like so long ago now . . . (P.S. Now a few months past the trauma, the support group makes me want to cry, although I couldn't cry then. What a thing to witness, that accident.)
After an exhausting week, it was very fun to take my boys to the school carnival on Friday night. Gary stayed home with Lissy. There were bounce houses, games, and too much candy. Perfect. You wish you could see how excited Andrew gets to go on the bouncy slides over and over. Andrew and Josh both tried at the cake walk, and Andrew was a winner, which I love. Also, Noah got a balloon parrot he was so proud to have on his shoulder, but then it fell off and popped, so a nice friend gave him tickets for a new one. Beautiful night, and so happy to be all dressed and stuff!
On Saturday I got to work out for the first time in two weeks (woo-hoo!!), then the whole family went to Josh's soccer game. Lissy was happy to be outside, and clapped for Josh. Josh looked dead-tired the whole time, but really made some good passes and even scored a goal in traffic. Andrew and Noah had their game later, and Julie came over with her kids and watched a movie while Lissy slept so I could see the boys play. So thoughtful, the boys needed that. Andrew was trying really, really hard. That kid would be rocking his preschool league. Noah made a few goals as he tends to do, but the other team made him work for it. So cute.
On Saturday afternoon Lissy was doing her fussy-thing she does and Gary said, "Oh my goodness, what do you do with her all day?" Just funny to me, because that is the exact question I ask my self all day. Today we took her on a few walks, and she really liked it, so now that she is well enough to be jostled a bit (this past week she wouldn't/couldn't even sit in the stroller), we'll have to walk a lot.
Lissy hasn't screamed as much the last two days, but she has been pretty difficult to put to bed. The boys have started trying to eliminate each other, so they're really feeling this change of routine. Those are things that will improve, overall we are obviously very, very, very blessed.
And some pictures from the end of the week when things were going a bit better . . .
And some pictures from the end of the week when things were going a bit better . . .
| Lissy liked playing with stickers in her high chair, and her brothers were so cute helping her. |
| This is Lissy's special chair she was given by some sweet sisters in the ward. It's a favorite with all of the kids. |
| This picture is for my mom - thanks for the dress! |
| When Lissy learned to sit on her own, it had to be up against the couch for a while. |
| Fun stuff from her care package! |
| These farm animal things are still a huge hit. |
| Lissy was very pleased with how her feet looked in the ballet shoes someone gave her. |
1 comment:
Em! I'm so happy to read about Lissy's progress! And I loved getting your Christmas card. Seriously when I read about your new calling, I just about died for you. But I'm praying for you, my friend. And your family. Love you lots!!!!
Post a Comment