Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Are You Ready for a Throwdown?

My mom called and issued the challenge four weeks ago, after inventing several flavored-syrups. November 1, a waffle throwdown, her house. Gary and I have made many a Bobby Flay-inspired dish, but never in competition. Then my mom made a meat loaf for us after Noah was born, and in doing so found out that Gary had been on a quest for the perfect meat loaf, so she declared a meatloaf throwdown with Gary. There was no winner, only a couple of wonderful meat loafs.

So, to make the waffle throwdown more official, I invited someone to be our blind-taste-testing judge. My sister Cindy upped the ante by declaring that she would prove once and for all that no one can really tell the difference between Bisquick and from-scratch. (My family, except Cindy, are all a bunch of from-scratch snobs, including myself.) Here is Gary, my mom, Cindy, and her husband Nate, all feverishly cooking for the throwdown.

My mom made some chocolate waffles, which I thought were good, but were not popular with her. Gary and I made banana waffles, which were declared to be quite good by everyone, but not good with the many-flavored syrups. The most popular? Cindy's Bisquick with fresh blueberries. I say it was the fresh blueberries, but she did gain quite a bit of ground with her point.

Oh, and we never did utilize our blind-taste-tester, because I was yapping her ear off. It was my friend Christina whom I have no picture of, which is too bad because she has adorable twin girls you would like to see. But it was so good to see her, and that was actually a main-er point than the waffles, so, the final judgement goes to these three pictured below.
Their verdict? Everyone wins with waffles. (Although they are pictured eating the Bisquick . . .)

10 comments:

sarahflib said...

How I wish I would have been present for the throwdown--that sounds amazing. I think the problem with the Bisquick experiment is that you guys were comparing regular Bisquick waffles with crazy banana/chocolate waffles. You have to compare regular Bisquick waffles with regular from-scratch waffles to really know how they compare--I'm pretty sure that my recipe would have kicked their trash had I been around. And I'll stand by that statement for any future throwdowns.

Anna said...

sometimes I wish I were a Gibby and had six sisters and a mom who challenges me to a throwdown. :)

hey we should have a crepe throwdown...I can make vanilla crepes

Liz said...

I agree, fresh ones are the best. Did you end up making the pumkin waffles with apple cider syrup. The apple cider syrup was so yummy.

This Idaho Girl said...

I wish you had a picture of Sophie eating whipped cream from the can. Thanks for the invite. I miss hanging out with the Gibbys.

Janiebelle007 said...

OK, we'll have another waffle throwdown and also a crepe throwdown and Christina, you can hang out with the Gibby's anytime you feel up to it. We are child proof and if you don't mind the way we are (rather too casual) then we'd love to have you. And Anna, you can have a gibby girl sweatshirt, too. And what in the heck is drakeing? My word verification?

Hannah said...

I love my family!!!! That is all I have to say. (that and I know if I could have been there to make my Better Homes & Gardens waffles I would have been the champ)

Coordination Queen said...

For waffles I'm a from scratch-snob, I think the texture of the bisquick waffles is weird. But I'll take bisquick pancakes over from scratch ones. Pretty sure that makes me weird.

Lee said...

So, I guess the frozen not-even-Eggo-brand waffles that my kids eat wouldn't have won?

Kacey said...

my husband and i are pretty much obsessed with food network...i should challenge him to a throwdown!

Anonymous said...

I will have to agree with Cindy. I ALWAYS make my waffles from Bisquick. Why do I do this? The one time I made them from scratch (including beating the egg whites for a fluffier waffle) I was thoroughly disappointed in the taste when compared to my usual Bisquick creations. And the worst part about it? The from scratch kind took five times as long to prepare! I'm not surprised at the chosen winner of this waffle throwdown!