Thursday, November 6, 2008

How We Rocked the Vote (Literally)

Wow, I got really sick of the lengthiness of this election. I didn't realize quite how much, until I posted an image to the left that said, "Decision 2008" and showed an elephant battling a donkey. I couldn't stand to look at it, even for a moment in the corner. Now instead here's this sticker to add color, although my sticker was actually red and stuck to my stomach because of Josh. No pics of that, sorry.



Anyway, I was really excited to cast my ballot and say goodbye to all of the polls and the pundits. My kids and I showed up at the local elementary school roughly mid-nap-they-weren't-taking, and got in line. There were some kids who looked like 5th graders playing dodge ball in the gym right there, so Josh hung out bashfully at the door watching. I'm positive he was thinking they would invite him to play if he stood there long enough. In his world, everyone wants to play ball with him. Noah was in his carseat, on the floor next to me as we waited.



All of the sudden, the woman in front of me finished signing in, and backed away from the registration table. She took one step too many, and didn't notice Noah and his seat. She not only tripped over him, but knocked him over and got tangled in his carseat. Noah did a couple of rolls in his seat (including being completely upside-down at one point), and the poor woman ended up landing hard on the floor several feet away from where she started falling. Noah started screaming because he was scared, although totally fine because he was strapped into his seat. The woman was trying not to cry because she has bad hips and couldn't stand up after the fall, plus she was really worried that she had harmed a baby. I tried to assure her she didn't and inquire after her health, but I didn't know what to say really because so many people were watching and I felt that somehow it was my fault. It was VERY awkward.



Then, I hurriedly cast my votes (or Josh did, I was able to keep him with me by letting him press the buttons), and got out of there. I had no idea the election would be trying to the very end, but I still have lots of candy to eat, so no worries. All I want to say in this forum about who I voted for/the results, is that I felt good that I had tried my best to do my homework on the different races. I could have done better, of course, but I am now much better than in 2000, when I excitedly punched my vote for president then said, "What the heck? There's other stuff on this ballot?"

8 comments:

Trever and Heather said...

How is it that I've gone this long without finding your blog?

Anyway- excited that you found me. Your boys are dang cute!

This Idaho Girl said...

I feel the same way. I had no idea about those initiatives/amendments on the ballot. Patrick wrote in my Dad for president. Whatever. I hope that Josh voted for Super Dell. Now you can attest to the safety provided by carseats (in and out of the car).

Stacey said...

2 words: Absentee ballot.

That makes the whole process SO much easier!

DP said...

I think you need to start referring to the carseat's handle as its "roll bar."

Coordination Queen said...

Wow you are one dedicated woman! We stood in line for 2 hours, thankfully my parents swung by and picked the kids up.

Syphus Circus said...

I was able to visualize your entire voting episode! Oh my I don't know what I would have done if it had been me. Actually, I would have been in tears. Emily, I take my hat off to you and thank goodness for car seats.

Liz said...

Sorry that we kept your kids from their nap (mine didn't take one either). I somehow feel responsible for keeping you away from your voting, and what resulted in you having what sounds like a very eventful experience. Next time I vote, we are going to invite you guys over beforehand so we can get the downlow from Gary.

Michelle said...

OH WOW! I finally got to read this post in its entirety to appreciate the event. Oh wow. wowowwowow. So at first I thought that you let your son finish casting the votes (not a bad idea to let them realllly experience voting, eh?!) but realized you probably just let him turn them in. Glad your lil man is okay after such a crazy mishap! Thank you for sharing.