Sunday, February 28, 2010

Updates February

January 31:
As for our week, Gary worked until 11 or later almost every night, including Saturday, so it's been nutty. Good thing is we'll have that in time off in the summer, and also his work is super interesting. Gary and I have discussed the merits of several bills before the media got wind of them. So, we'll let that be our solace, I guess. Josh went to Preston to hang out with his cousins for two days, so I got some great Noah-time. So, highlights of the week: Playing basketball with Noah, taking him to ice cream for FHE, going to the children's museum and Costa Vida on Friday night, and Josh discovering the Olivia books. Lowlights include spending all day Saturday trying to get things together for a trip to WalMart because we were out of milk and hadn't had an oil change in 6 months, finally getting there at 5:30, and then after taking all 3 boys through the store, finding out at pick-up time that although we were 1 quart low, they didn't change my oil because the last mechanic who did it put the plug in sideways and it's starting to strip. Also discovering a flat tire on the other car after church. Other highlight, the boys are playing basketball with Gary now and having a great time, and the rolls I'm making smell good. Thusly, life is good.

February 8:
Leah's wake-up routine reminds me of Noah. He wakes up and yells, "Mom, I awake, get me out!" He also sings to himself in his crib a lot, but he hasn't gotten it together enough to sing an actual song like Leah. Geez, Noah. And Candacy, so glad you have the means to whip up carb-delights. Makes life worth it. I just got a mix-ish thing and use it a lot. I tried to start putting whole wheat flour in with regular, to make things better, but Gary says he prefers just white. Too bad.


So besides noticing Eric's mysterious lack of antecedents, I guess we did do stuff last week. More working like crazy for Gary. The kids didn't see him from Sunday until Thursday when he came home magically early at 8:00. Both of our cars got fixed, and it wasn't as bad as we thought for either of them, so that's good. Josh has become obsessed with playing games this week, and it's fun since he's the man around here these days. My sister Kayla came and stayed with us on Friday and Saturday, so it was awesome to have another big person around those two days. She helped me fold laundry for 3 hours while she got caught up on Lost - that's how behind I get without Gary. On Friday night we had a game party - played Candy Land and Memory, then put Josh to bed and played a big-kid game. We also ate lots of candy, and Josh was so pumped. "We're eating candy and playing Candy Land!" he had to exclaim several times. Then on Saturday we went to the Children's Museum in Salt Lake and then met up with some more of my sisters and my mom to celebrate Kayla's 14th birthday at an Italian restaurant. Yum. Then I ran a marathon to work off the weekend's eating . . . I wish.

February 23:
Monday, Schmonday . . . if that is a real rule, I will rarely be able to write. :) The last two weeks have been a whirlwind for us. President's Day weekend the kids and I went to my mom's house while Gary stayed home to work 16 hour days every day but Sunday. We celebrated my mom's birthday by going to a Vocal Point concert - the came to Preston and it was tons of fun! Josh came, too, and loved it. I told him it was just okay because Uncle Christian was no longer in it. The next night when I thought Josh was asleep I heard him practicing vocal percussion in his bed. The next day I was hired as Vocal Point's tour guide through Preston's Napoleon Dynamite sites. My sister is actually good friends with one of the guys, so that's why we were asked to show them around. I haven't thought about Napoleon stuff in a long time, so it was a fun blast from the past.


While in Preston we also celebrated my neice Madeline's birthday (hooray, for a while there we were scared about that girl). Since I had two sisters expecting babies and my mom was planning on going to Barstow to be with one of them, the one left behind in Preston would have no mom-help. So, my sister Sarah and I made 6 different freezer meals for her while we were up there, so that she would at least have something. Then, last Friday, both of the babies were born. Katie's by scheduled c-section (breech baby), and Cindy's just decided that day would work for him as well. Katie's baby (Lily) is doing great, but Cindy's baby (Beckett) is still in the NICU. He swallowed some fluid after he was born and went completely blue and limp - not breathing for at least a minute. He was revived, and will be okay, but poor little guy (and poor Cindy) have a lot to deal with right now. I really want to go help her, but . . . my college roommate who had cancer died yesterday morning, and I am going to the funeral. Cindy says she really wants me to. I think it's close to her heart because her husband's dad died of cancer when he was young.

So, that's the sad news. If you are curious about my friend's story, her husband wrote a synopsis on their blog www.steve-catie.blogspot.com. The good news is, they live in North Carolina, as do some of my favorite people, whom I will get to stay with. Other good news is my dashing boyfriend got off work ridiculously early last Thursday (6:00!) to take me on a Valentine date. We ate at Noodles then went to find me a couple of things to wear that fit. Romantic? Oh yes, Gary is good at finding things for me a clothing store, it turns out. Also, I am motivated to get dressed when I have something to wear, and getting dressed is more romantic than jammies all day.

Speaking of blogs, if you haven't yet, you should check out the pictures of not-so-little Andrew on my blog: www.emilary.blogspot.com. A visit to my dad's office revealed he weighs 17 lbs. 8 oz. Not 4 months until Saturday. The same visit revealed a pretty abnormal tympanogram for Josh, which confirmed my suspicion that his hearing isn't the best. Hopefully the nasal spray he was given will help as it's supposed to.

1 comment:

Anna said...

The most amusing part of this post was Josh practicing vocal percussion in his bedroom--go Josh!

Hope Cindy's baby is thriving these days. What a scary start.