Sunday, September 25, 2011

Super Gare



 I had my 6th wedding anniversary coming up at the beginning of August, for which I fully expected to just go out to dinner. I mean, not just, I was expecting it to be awesome. But then I got a phone call from a certain hot man I know who had planned for my kids to be watched for a whole day. Woah! I was nervous at first to "not get anything done" that weekend (I know, it's a problem), but quickly relaxed and had a fantastic time just being with Gary. I enjoyed eating too much steak, talking with my man, wandering around stores (fancy ones, like TJ Maxx and Dick's Sporting Goods),


 . . . Finding a cave full of treasure . . .

 . . . playing cards by a camel . . .

 . . . miniature golfing in gorgeous, though windy, weather . . .



 . . . winning the front 9, but losing overall to this guy . . .

 . . . me and Gare, no kids . . .
The last 6 years have gone by fast, but A LOT has happened. It's so good to get back to just us, just for a little bit. Awesome anniversary, Gary!

Then, near the end of August, Gary did his second triathlon. We woke up early to go cheer him on, and when we pulled up to the race, Josh said, "Hey, I thought Dad said this was supposed to be in a triangle." I taught them what it really was, and they chanted, "Swim, bike, run, swim, bike, run," for days.

Early morning fans watching the swim.

Look how fast he transitioned to the bike . . .

Mission complete! Josh was SO proud of  his dad he went running up to him immediately. Why do the jammies look a little more awkward a couple of hours later?

They made the swim 100 meters longer this year, but Gary still shaved 4 minutes off of his time from last year. He swears he's never doing it again without a road bike, so look for tons of time to come off next year. Hoping to join him . . . yes, I'm probably a fool, but it is so fun. We had fun driving around to cheer Gary on at different places, carrying our box of Cheerios around in our pajamas. Gary's triumphant finish line picture never happened because someone's chubby blonde toddler was running in front of the finishers (oops!), but he was sprinting, and we were proud.

Just a few ways Gary was amazing in August . . .

3 comments:

Hannah said...

Go Gare Bear! (And those are adorable little childrens. And you're a babe.)

Rachel said...

this post makes me SOOOOOOOOOOOO happy!!! Happy Anniversary!!!

sarahflib said...

Let's hear it for Super Gare. The picture with the camel is priceless.