Remember when I taught kindergarten and I had a baby named Baby Josh, and he got so tired he slept on my desk? Josh told me today that he has a really big name now, and it's "kindergartener." It's an emotional topic for me. Sometimes, anyway. I am excited to see him excited, and cannot believe how adorable he is walking around with his big superhero backpack. I want him to grow up and do new things and be happy and successful. But he's my buddy. And I'm now officially done with the 5 years of tiny boy where he was mine all the time, and I could hug him whenever, and he would know I love him, and he would be my right-hand man, and I knew he was learning good things, and was safe. And I can't see anymore because of all of this water in my eyes. Oh, Joshy . . . So, how did we get here? Long story, let's start with finishing up preschool in the spring.
![]() |
| Josh got the preschool award for the Most Humorous. I was going to re-take this picture, but I thought it went with the award. We think Josh is pretty amusing, so it was fun to see others picking up on his personality. |
 |
| Cute little preschool group. Chloe, Chase, Ben, Josh, Kael, Mia, Ian. Cooper was gone. |
Shortly after our neighborhood preschool ended, a month long kindergarten preview started at the school. I knew the teacher was amazing, and he really thought he should go to school the second he turned 5, so off he went. It was a good decision, he had a total blast. If I could get video to upload I would show off him singing, his flag of our country song he learned. Too adorable, and I really appreciate his teacher for teaching them a song about God and our country. I cried when he sang it, of course.
 |
| The first day of summer preschool at the elementary school. He was SO excited, and he had so much fun, it was ridiculous. |
The first day of summer preschool was hard for Noah. He wanted to go somewhere, too, not be left without his playmate! So, I took Noah and Andrew to feed the ducks. It was perfect. Simple - beautiful day, lovely lake, adorable children, and some ducks. The funniest was the next day when Josh said, "I get to go to school today, Noah," and Noah replied, "Well, I'll just be feeding ducks."
 |
| These guys were so cute, and so excited to feed the ducks. I loved seeing Noah try so hard to look after Andrew. |
 |
| Noah was hilarious, he tried very hard to equitably give each duck some bread. |
 |
| Andrew had to hang on the bridge just like Noah. He was in love with the ducks, and actually said "duckies" for the first time. He would laugh and point and attempt to toss his little bits of bread. |
 |
| Yet another way to feed the ducks. |
We had a fantastic morning feeding the ducks, but the entire time I missed Josh. I didn't expect to feel it so much, but I really did. Even as I looked at adorable pudgy fingers poking through the bridge to show me the ducks, I was happy, but there was a little piece of my happy that was now at school. I watched the clock the entire time, and couldn't believe 3.5 hours could be so long. The feeling was hard to shake, but it went away after a few days. We got used to our new routine, and it sure helped that he was loving it. Plus, it wasn't the real thing . . .
I knew I would have a hard time with the real thing. But, life hit. It was my turn to teach preschool on the first day of kindergarten, so I was crazy busy and Gary actually brought him. No time to think about it. After Gary dropped him off I asked how it went. "Did you cry?" I asked. "It didn't even cross my mind," Gary chuckled. So then I started crying thinking about Josh now in school. But not for more than a second, preschool was coming fast. Since then we have had preschool, doctors appointments, and a holiday, so I actually haven't thought about Josh's absence as much as I thought. We've hardly noticed, actually. Then last night Josh snuggled up to me and said, "Just for one day can I stay home with you?" Oh, man, wasn't thinking about it, but now I am. He will get used to it. So will I. It's life. It's exciting! But it is good to have moments like these when I realize that I shouldn't wish time away, as I have definitely been guilty of. Which is why I had to write it down. Caring enough to write it down is a good thing. So is being a kindergarten mom. New adventures . . .
 |
| Josh's first day of kindergarten. This photo was the best I could do because he was determined to do some type of gang pose. He's still adorable, all excited for kindergarten. |
Sorry to Noah that this post is so much about Josh. I'm actually really excited to have more time to focus on Noah. He has been talking for months about preschool, so life is pretty good now. He really wanted to go camping for preschool, but I was going to teach about the five senses. Then I thought, why not teach the five senses through a camping theme? It's been really fun. Noah is such a little sponge, and it's great to see him get into all of the activities we do. He does them again after all the kids have left, and talks about things he's learned. He is really looking forward to when he gets to go to someone else's house for preschool, but he has to deal with me for one more week.
 |
| Noah's first day of preschool. Since it was at our house he had no need for shoes or a backpack, but he did don this Spanish wineskin for the photo. We did camping as our theme, and this was one of the props, so he immediately put it to use. |
 |
| Josh came home and immediately started playing in the tent we'd set up for preschool. He actually wrote several field journal pages, whereas the preschoolers didn't do any, so it was perfect. Somebody did it! |
 |
| What was Andrew doing? Forging onward in his journey to be a real 2 year old by the time he gets there. Here is is covered in grape jelly. The photo in no way shows the true coverage, or the state of the kitchen, but I had to capture what he is learning these days, if imperfectly. |
7 comments:
Ch-ch-ch- changes. We started preschool. Should I feel guilty that I'm not sad? The new baby will fill the remaining spare breaths you have and Josh will amaze you with his ability to learn quickly. It is hard to let go of our little kids though. You could always homeschool.
Ah, yes, I remember well the first days of kindergarten! It's tough. Glad to see you charting out your memories, because you will SO want to remember everything in detail later. I wish I written everything down. Now Simon is a 1st grader, doing 2nd grade school work - he's so darn smart - how did we get here? Write more than I did!
I wasn't sad about preschool, either, but there is something about kindergarten that signifies the end of an era. From now on he will have more and more outside influences and I will have less and less. Which will be fine, I just had to have my moment. :) Yeah, and I was mentally composing my anti-homeschool blog post in the shower today . . . sure you have a similar one.
Hi. You're a good mom, Em. Your boys kill me. Especially that Noah. "Well I'll just be feeding the ducks." Really? He's cool. And Joshy in kindergarten? Oh, I'm gonna cry. At least he hasn't gone to the boy's locker room yet. I don't even have kids and I'm scared of that. Maybe I shouldn't have said that. You're a good mom. Your boys are cute. xoxo
Love, love, love these pictures. Josh somehow turned into a man.
Josh looks so BIG! Great post, you rock!!
GREAT post. You rock. I saw Josh going to get his school picture and he just looked so big to me, I couldn't believe he was there... Crazy how fast other peoples kids grow up.
Post a Comment