Sunday, October 16, 2011

Learning to Fight Fires

From the title, this post could be about something entirely different. Sure does feel like we have a lot of fires to fight around here . . .  but this is literal. One of the best things about teaching preschool myself is I can teach whatever I want! One of the topics I had last month was firefighters, which I had touched on in Kindergarten, but had never gotten deeply into. It turned out to be so fun for all of us (yes, including me). My boys played with the stuff we used for weeks. Josh was always pumped to come home from kindergarten and find new things. I took pictures here and there, but looking back I can think of so many moments I wish I had captured . . . the week after I taught about firefighters, another mom talked about fire safety and then we went to the fire station. If you are interested in my lesson plan, it's here. (Don't be thinking it's in fancy form.) In the mean time, it's a good memory for me, so here they are . . .

This was our full-out firefighter gear model. Don't worry, the hatchet was not a play toy. Nor is it sharp at all. We were cracking up at this picture because this kid does the best facial expressions. Oh, and after this demo all of the kids got a chance to dress up during "choosing time." The oxygen tank and mask were the most popular portion of the outfit.

This picture is so funny to me. Gary says it looks like Noah has had such a rough day fighting fires he just can't mess with getting his picture taken.

There's our happy fireman . . .

Andrew loved to wear the stuff, too, and it was SO cute because the coat goes down to his ankles. Wish I had a picture . . . Here he is dancing to "Hurry, Hurry, Drive the Firetruck." Ah, I just want to squeeze him all the time!

We had squirt bottles to fight the chalk fires on the sidewalk, and my kids spent a whole lot of time outside playing with them. Andrew hates to be wet, so when he does, the clothes come off.

We made this amazing firetruck in preschool, then when Josh came home he added a paper steering wheel inside. He was very focused on driving it.

Andrew gets to come on preschool field trips, too, and was facinated by the firetruck.



This was the best ever for the kids. Andrew wanted to do it twice, and they let him. The firefighters were all very cool about letting them touch stuff. I was worried at first, but they said, "If we haven't broken it, they probably can't."



Noah and Andrew were very proud to tell Josh about shaking the skeleton's hands.

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

Adorable!! Looks like LOTS of fun!!

Hannah said...

I LOVE YOUR BOYS! Andrew is suddenly a man. I can't handle it. Please come to Texas. Bring your boys, I mean, men.

This Idaho Girl said...

The kid on the top does look amusing, but what I really wanted was to see you in the fire fighter gear.

Anonymous said...

Adorable pics! What a great field trip.

Michelle said...

YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!! I'm so excited for you guys! This is such wonderful, beautiful news. Makes me so very happy! I chose the best adventure and read all the way through. I had to chuckle that once you started feeling pain in the delivery that you felt more calm and in familiar territory. That is total evidence that you would rock as a cave woman-- though I am desperately glad you weren't a cave woman because I'd never have the pleasure of knowing you. God knew I couldn't survive as a cave woman. I still echo your famous words "I'm a 2006 girl! I am all for epidurals." Me too, Em....Me, too. I think for future births we need to consult each other. I'm deathly afraid of NOT being induced. How will I know I"m in labor? I've never gone into labor on my own. What if I don't get there in time and I actually have to be in pain before the epidural comes? What if I can't get an epidural at all? Those are my worst fears.
So my seasoned-at-giving-birth friend...hang in there. 4 children seems so...bounteous and overflowing and nigh impossible for my brain to comprehend. I'm glad you are doing it first because you have the best attitude and point of view on everything.
I want to come meet her!!! I really mean that. xoxoxo