Thursday, June 7, 2012

Mom Here, Friends There, and Buying a Great Big Box


The boys are sleeping now, so I can do whatever I want. Since there is totally nothing to do around the house, I will do my update. Lissy is up with me, poor chica is sick. Just a fever and general sadness, but you know. She doesn't say her other symptoms. The boys fell asleep while reading because we are all BEAT, and not only have they done summer bedtimes, they jump out of bed the second they gain consciousness so they can watch Scooby Doo. They got it at the bookmobile and I may have to hide it so they have no motivation to arise. 

So, when last I left you, it was Memorial Day weekend. Since we played Saturday, we worked Monday. Gary got muy muy sunburned from putting together the climber the kids got for their birthdays, and it was an instant hit. He also put up another hanging storage in the garage, and I will someday get everything arranged to go on it. I think I did basic firefighting that day. I could get so much more done if the kids didn't grow or the seasons didn't change, the changing of the clothes is a project. However, growing and seasons have much to be enjoyed, so I guess that's just general one-reason-I-live-in-a-tornado commentary.

The rest of the week was recovery from insanity week the week before, visiting teaching (sorry, end of the month, but it was fun), and the T-family moving. Which reminds me, before the families woke up on memorial day, Kami and I went on a run up a trail across the highway. It was quite challenging, a super pretty view, and good conversation. Then I came home to pancakes. Wow, looking back, it was a fab day. Anyway, yes, last week we went over to T-house to chat and clean, watched their kids a little, and when they left on Friday morning I made them pancakes on the way out of town. I had been trying not to really think about the move, but on Friday night I got pretty darn sad. First for me, then for Andrew, too. Poor kid isn't in the spotlight a lot, but he did have one little friend that was his thing to look forward to. For the record, I know we will still have a good life, but I just really, really miss them.

Saturday was a pretty great soccer day for the boys. Noah had his game first, and had several goals and assists. I saw 3 goals, he says 6. Hmm. Josh was determined to get a goal in his game, too, and worked his rear off to get one. However, his league is a lot tougher, and though he came close lots of times, and we talked up his team work, his big moment didn't come until near the end of the game. But it was awesome.

Sunday was my big family history class debut, and though there were only a few people there, it was fantastic. I actually like the only a few people setting, and they are all great girls. The fantastic came from the stories mom shared with me. I spent a very long time talking to mom about family history that night, and it is fascinating.

The kids and I spent the day at Liberty Park on Monday with my friend Julie and kids and Kami and kids. The T-fam displaced right now and were staying with his parents, so we took the chance to play. I nearly cried when I couldn't find my camera beforehand. Still don't know where it is. :( However, it was a very, very lovely day. HOT, but nice in the shade. First we had a picnic and chatted in aforementioned shade, then off to the water features. They have little waterfalls and streams to wade and splash in, and one area where the water is a couple of feet deep they thought was a swimming pool. The kids had an absolute blast there, but that was the end of the adult conversation and the try-to-keep-track-of-the-kids portion. Definitely not a sipping lemonades in while watching the kids situation, but it was so great to get out and see everyone.  Except now I'm going to cry over the camera again because re-painting the scene did not happen with words. My, I am camera-emotional.

As you all know, Mom got here on Wednesday, and we were all so excited to see her! We chatted while going to get me fingerprinted, making a Winco run, eating Mexican food, and chillin' at the homestead. Except not a ton of homestead chillin happened because I had to drive some youth from our stake to Dugway for their trek early Wednesday morning, and also get my health assessment done in Tooele. Mom bonded with the boys over cleaning mouse poo while I did all that. (I am SOOO grateful!) Then, up to Layton to meet the Idaho crew for lunch at Rumbi and chopstick battles. (Um, the camera would have been good to capture grandma moments. We will have more soon, so I do not despair.)

After Rumbi, I decided to brave Target with my kiddos alone. And it was great! I got two carts and had Josh push Andrew in one, and Noah had the option to hop in back behind Lissy or walk. He did both, but Josh was too busy to distract him. We got all of the items I intended to, including a very large deck box. I am tired of the sun ruining my sterilite containers on the back porch and having to replace them every year, so when Gary and I saw a sale in the paper, we decided to invest. All was great with the 3-cart wagon train going out to my car (Target workers had a cart with the huge box), until we tried to put the huge thing in the car. It fit, but took up the spot where Josh's head should be. So, I had him crawl underneath the box, curl up, and put the seatbelt around him. It took him a while to figure out a good way to do it, and the Target guys were dying of inner laughter, I could tell. They weren't making noises, but any time I talked to them they would sound like they were choking down giggles. When we finally got it, they walked away laughing. I felt awesome. Yeah, Josh, you have to buckle up perfectly every time, no messing around, it's dangerous . . . unless mom wants to bring home a deck box. He was a great sport about it, though, looking cute in his new sunglasses, and doing various techniques of balancing it on his head and feet. We ended up meeting Gary at the airport to shuffle the kid situation. I asked Josh if we need to and though he was cheerful, he said, "I would appreciate it if we met dad at the airport."

Josh was awesome at helping me put together the box today, what a kid. Of course they all had to get inside when it was done. I texted Gary, "The boys are inside the deck box." He replied, "Investment realized." Gary also rode along with the Highway Patrol yesterday and won an award at work. I want him to tell you about it, so you should ask.

1 comment:

sarahflib said...

I love what Josh said about the box. Sooooo funny.