Thursday, October 16, 2008

Quirky Smirky

New York is quirky, like me. (Yeah, I know, huge stretch, but I gotta have a photo. Aren't we happy little honeymooners?)
This is the revelation of 8 quirks I don't mind admitting (to steal the words of my friend Michelle, who tagged me for this). Smirky doesn't have anything to do with it, but it rhymes with quirky in such a fun way. It's a good rhyme for teaching kids the words in the "irky" family. Anyway, on to the quirks . . .
I'm a rebel. When I was in college I had a pack of Days of the Week underwear that I wore with utter disregard as to which day of the week it was. When Josh was born I was given a pack of Days of the Week bibs, and I'm sure you can guess what I do with them. That's right, Noah wore the Sunday bib today.
I am easily amused. Little phrases like, "gold Peruvian shawl" or "refreshing peach scrub" can be just the thing I need to feel silly inside. This is a good thing since I'm such a stress-head most of the time. And if there's nothing I can find to smile at, the dusty bum story never fails to bring a giggle. (I hope I've told you that one.)
There's something about bulk. When I see things in bulk, I really feel like I need to do something with it. In a craft store I think, "Bolts of felt! I'm sure there's a whole lot I can do with that." In a hardware store I think, "So much wood! Must build." In Sam's Club I think, "Who do I know that wants a giagantic tub of Cheez-ums for Christmas?" I'm serious, I can't help myself.
I just can't stop. When I feel socially awkward, I talk more to fill the supposed silence. I know I'm saying odd things, but I feel like I need to keep making up for what I just said. Again and again and again and . . . yeah, time to stop.
The phone is scary. I get really nervous to call people a lot of the time. This is most likely because of the last item.
De-junking is such sweet sorrow. I LOVE getting rid of things. Big bags of things. More space for me! However, I have a really hard time parting with some things I've collected. Gary just barely convinced me to get rid of my spray-painted-gold Barbie (It was an award!), but every time I go through my VHS tapes, "Mystery Science Theater 3000 - Prince of Space" stays. Sure I've had it for 6 years and never watched it, but I'm positive it's a good one.
I've got high standards. 6 years ago I declared that the man I would marry would be the kind that would play with me in the corn box at Hee-Haws (yeah, another corn maze experience). This was important to me at the time, but I never did test it out, until exactly two seconds ago when I asked him about it. He said if we went, he'd play. Phew! We're made for eachother.
Go big or go home. When I see in my mind what needs to be done, I feel like I need to do all of it. Now. So, I dig in, and then either I burn out or the day does. So, I end up with personalized booklets for each student in my class, but no lesson plan for tomorrow, or a pristinely organized pantry and every dish in my house piled in the sink.
I tag mom (yep, it's time to blog it up for you), Christina, and Ashley. I'd really like to read some quirks of my sister and brother in-laws, and YOU, too, but I shan't bestow an official tag on anyone who doesn't desire one. Unless you want me to.
Right after I got that tag, I got a similar tag from my friend Anna. I've already done the quirks part of that one, but there was another part to hers where I need to say 6 nice things about the person who tagged me. Gladly!
1.Anna is a fantastic person to talk to if you're having a tough time.
2.Anna was awesome when I was dating Gary - so encouraging and happy for me.
3.Anna is generous - I always had something to wear when I was her roommate.
4.Gary says Anna is complimentary. I agree.
5. We both love laughing with Anna.
6. He also says she's thoughtful and kind. I agree and I agree. We could keep going!

10 comments:

Janiebelle007 said...

You want my quirks, here ya go. 1)I run the checkbook. Don't spend any money I don't say spend. I'm saving to buy things for my grandkids. 2)If I don't want it, it gets thrown out. YOu can hate me for it later. Because you WILL find out. I don't really feel guilty about it though. Just sorry I got caught! 3)I can't hardly live without a book to read 4)I'd rather travel than go to work. Sometimes that isn't an option. 5) I worry about my kids no matter how old they are and sometimes I just encourage them to do things I wish they wouldn't because I fear for them. NIce things about EM- It's her birthday!! NExt yeart I wil have a 30 year old child! EW. She has a heart of gold. she is very funny and creative. A good sounding board for my opinions. Has a great husband and kids. Very honest and a hard worker.

This Idaho Girl said...

Funny that I can hear your mom talking as I read her comment. And I love Mystery Science Theatre 3000. Do you think we could sell Tequilla Mockingbird and make some money? Your role as Mayella would certainly get you at least a recurring spot on Days of Our Lives. Also, I'm with you on the classroom thing. I think that's why I couldn't work full time. My kids would suffer.

This Idaho Girl said...

Oh, and Happy Birthday. I just realized today was Oct. 17.

Anna said...

girl. I'm not gonna lie, I loved this post. Both the quirks and the parts about me (you are too kind :). Happy happy birthday too.

btw I think you should post more quirks on another day, for some reason your quirks make me laugh (put on that Tuesday bib with reckless abandon on any day of the week!)

Anna said...

p.s. when did you go to NYC?

Ash said...

First of all, did you mean me? Just wondering if you know more than one Ashley.... Also, it's so funny that in the picture, you guys are standing in front of a Fidelity Investments building. My hubby works there. Well, not that building, but for that company.

Hannah said...

gotta love Em.

Syphus Circus said...

Happy Belated Birthday Emily! Hey, I'm Syphi, everything is belated in our family..he he he. AND, we are one in the same in the Go big or go home Quirk! I love it Emily!

Liz said...

Dusty bum story? Hmmm.... I can only imagine. So what bib is Noah wearing today?

Emily S said...

Today's bib - Sunday. (It's Tuesday) Oh, the rebellion!